Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Shower waste pipe solution in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Morning chaps, I'm wondering if I could trouble you for a bit of advice. I need to drop my 40mm shower waste pipe below the level of the floor as I do not want any boxing in due to the room being a small en suite. Likelihood is I'll be running with a slate shower base, slightly raised as I'd like access to the waste from what will be the old emersion cupboard behind.

Problem I have is this. The pipe runs directly to the soil pipe outside, and I can only realistically drop the level of the pipe into the soil pipe, by 20mm, as the WC pipe runs directly beneath. Can I tap into the WC pipe without causing any issues? I assume so but didn't know if there were any problems around back flow etc... Here is a picture of where I could tap into it, however access to drill might also be an issue

Second problem is running across 5 joists which are near the centre of the house spanning over 10 meters. I've worked out I'll need a notch of 20mm. They are 220mm deep... Not ideal I know but I can't drill centres as I can't get the pipe low enough into the soil stack. Was thinking a couple of pieces of thick steel either side to compensate..

For info the run is a straight 2m into the outside soil pipe collar currently. What I'm proposing will see a 90 bend dropping into the WC pipe which will then enter the outside soil pipe. That's using 40mm shower waste which will be fed by an unvented system, via a Mira remote mixing valve... Hopefully the 40mm will handle the flow given the minimal amount of bends?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

20161231_092703.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Old picture

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  4. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

5. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

You can't do the notch, check the regs.

6. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Thank you. I've since found that there is a middle support the correct distance away, so chopping 20mm notches is well within scope being less than 10% of the total depth. I've also decided to run with lowering the soil pipe first and foremost so as not to create flow issues... I'll be running unvented into a new shower unit which I hope will be powerful. I'd rather not upgrade to 50mm pipe if I can help it.

7. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

How long is the run

8. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

It's between 2-2.5 metres depending on what shower tray I settle on..

9. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

40mm should be ok get a fast flow waste though

10. 1animal1

1animal1 Member

Thanks Riley.. Will do. The run itself is largely straight into the soil pipe, there may be a couple of 90's near the drain itself. Will try to run it as flowing as possible.. Currently sorting out the mess the last fitter has made beneath the floor boards. Some people really have no idea at all. I've one joist with a good 40mm deep diagonal chunk out of it, about a foot long! Loads of wood for the boards to hit :/