1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Shower upstand hydrohalt in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Ant6869

Ant6869 New Member

Hello all
    I have seen that there are mixed views on fle flexible stick on upstands,however my tray is eastbrook and their instructions recommend the use of this type of upstand and as such i purcased a product called sealux aquastrap, i then went on line to look at the instructions as i am not using tiles but splashwall pvc cladding, while on the sealux web site i noticed a product called hydrohalt ,it is the manufacturers new all singing product from a couple of years ago,i spoke to them and they told me it was a far superior product to there standard stick on upstands but then they would say that wouldent they, i did however purchase one and it is a kit that contains a kind of flexible tanking strip that is bonded to the wall and then a foam spacer and finally all bonded together with sealux silicone.has anybody seen or used hydrohalt as i cant find any reviews on it.i now have two upstand types and not sure which to use.
    Any opinions. Many thanks.

2. Plumbex

Plumbex New Member

I am late on this but, Aquastrap and Hydrohalt are both Sealux products, if you are installing PVC shower wall panels have you considered using Cladseal which conceals the silicone completely and eliminates maintenance.

3. Ant6869

Ant6869 New Member

yes i did take a look at cladseal but dont like the look of a plastic profile,they still are reliant upon a silicone bond to the tray which to be honest i just dont trust,if it does eventually fail then you cant get at it as the bond is under the cladseal and just because its hidden dont mean it cant fail,the silicone is still subject to movement expansion,contraction, shrinkage etc. i much prefer a well done silicone bead then if you get problems scrape it out and do it again.
    for anybody reading this thread i went with aquastrap then panels over aquastrap down to spacers on top of tray to leave a 4mm gap then silicone filled the gap and nice finish with fugi tool. dident go with hydrohalt as again it looks a quality sealing system but still relies on a silicone bond to the tray, the butyle rubber and adhesive just looks more substantial on the aquastrap.time will now tell.
    thanks for all the responses.