Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Shower pump in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Karmoss131416

Karmoss131416 New Member

I really don't know which shower pump to buy, after reading loads of websites I'm still not sure. It's mains pressure cold water and a hot water tank on the landing, the top of the cylinder is level with the shower head. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

It does not sound like you have much static head therefore you will need a negative head twin impeller shower pump, but you will need to install a Surrey or essex flange to the cylinder and plumb in a separate balanced cold supply from the header tank to the pump as well. You will also most likely have to install an extra header tank to give the volume of water required.

3. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

At present the only external shower pump I would recommend is a Stuart Turner. Hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Harvest Fields

You also need to make sure that the CWST has enough capacity for the pump

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You cannot put mains cold water into a shower pump , you need a connection from your cold water storage tank in the loft and a connection via a Surrey flange or similar from your hot water cylinder direct to the pump then out to your shower mixer , salamander pumps are good and not bad on price screwfix keep a good selection . cheers kop

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Karmoss131416

Karmoss131416 New Member

Sound advice thank you very much. The hot water tank does have a separate feed to the bathroom. is there another way of sorting the cold supply? as it's a council house I don't fancy having to put in a cold water tank and associated pipework.

7. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber

I also would go for Stuart Turner but again it depends on how much you would like to spend. If you are unsure what type of pump you need either go with a universal one or get a qualified engineer in to take a look what type of pump is required as well as how many bars on pressure you need.

As mentioned above from KOP, you cannot forget to install a Surrey flange at the top of the hot water cylinder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

How is your hot cylinder supplied with water???
    This thread sounds all wrong.
    Is it a combination cylinder, - or a basic cylinder with a cold tank just above it, or higher, in loft for example?
    If it has a cold tank, that is where the head of water is taken.
    You need a plumber to see what system you have and what pump you need, if any. Unvented cylinder also an option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Harvest Fields

ohhhh. I see where you are coming from. As it was mentioned mains fed.it could already be an unvented cylinder. Any chance of any pictures of your cylinder please.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Karmoss131416

Karmoss131416 New Member

DSC_0026.JPG DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0024.JPG

Not sure if you need more pictures, thank you again for all of your help so far.

11. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Hi
    Yes you have a combination cylinder. They are verydifficult to get a cold supply to a pump. ( you can't pump cold mains, with this setup) .
    The best option is to get a G3 registered installer round to give you a quote for replacing the one you have with a mains pressure cylinder. This will give you good pressure at all outlets. Depending where your cylinder is located, it should be fitted in a day. Cost will be more than a shower pump, but there will be less noise in the house and less to go wrong in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

It's a vented combination cylinder, So no head. Very difficult to get a balanced cold supply. best to install a separate cold water storage tank to supply the pump or rip it out and install an unvented G3 cylinder.

13. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Guys the poster lives in a council house so is limited to what he can do to the property maybe it would be worth while considering a electric shower ? Kop

14. Karmoss131416

Karmoss131416 New Member

OK thank you for all your help I really appreciate it. It seems I may have to bite the bullet and get an electric shower. thanks again everyone

• Agree Agree x 1