Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Shower pump when shower is above feed tank in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. pck24

pck24 New Member

Hi guys,

We are about to put an ensuite into our new house. Its an old property - the water pressure is low and the hot water currently comes from an oil-fired aga (!)

The hot water cylinder is in the family bathroom in the rear return of the house, and the cold water tank sits in the roof directly above it. My problem is this: the ensuite is in the front of the house, at a higher level than (or around the same level as) the rear return roof.

To get a good strength shower we want to install a pump, but my understanding is that the shower needs to be lower than the cold water tank to generate enough pressure to switch the pump on. At some point in the future we will be converting to a system boiler with pressurized hot water, at which point we'll just remove the pump.

What's the winning strategy here? (please excuse my utter ignorance)

2. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Hi
    Just fit a negative head pump. Or universal, as some are called.
    This puts the pipework into positive pressure. So will cope with outlets above the header tanks.
    The pump will obviously need fitting below the tanks and preferably at the base of the cylinder.

Stuart turner make the best in my view.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. pck24

pck24 New Member

Perfect, thanks. Again, forgive my ignorance