Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss shower pump advice in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Andrew Finch

Andrew Finch New Member

Hi, I fitted a new shower pump a while ago, all great, need a new one, but when i fitted I did like for like replacement, but am wondering about the pipes? I currently have the old style pump where pipes come out vertically and horizontally, but I am looking at the salmander pump all pipes are vertical. Can i fit this sort? I know I can make the pipes go straight without any bending etc, but should I? Thanks (hopefully photos attached from old and new style of pump I am looking at).

hqdefault.jpg

pump.png

2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

You lost me with know I can make pipes go straight but should I?

3. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

If you’re confident with pipework then the world is your oyster my friend. Ensure that it’s installed as per manufacturers instructions with the correct flange or secondary tapping and Robert will be your mothers brother

4. Andrew Finch

Andrew Finch New Member

What mean it the connecting pipe is flexible, so could manipulate to fit

5. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

The pipes will be flexible just use common sense and don’t put them under stress or they won’t last long

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

The flexible hose connections are supposed to be kept straight, if you check most of MIs on all pump brands.
    They are NOT supposed to be there to replace the need of bending copper pipes to proper positions, even though many are installed with bent hoses.
    Purpose of the hoses is to stop rigid connection to supply copper pipes

7. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Think salamander say you are aloud to bend them but only 35 degrees max.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Yes, think you are correct, although I look at the 35 degree max instruction as - really keep the hoses near enough straight. I probably shouldn’t have inferred they must be precisely straight.
    Personally I like to be up to the challenge of bending the copper accurately, so hoses are perfectly vertical. Seems sensible to do it properly.
    I have to do a pump change tomorrow and most pipes will need altered.

9. Harvest Fields

I fitted a salamder rt100 on Tuesday. Repiped it all in. Switched it on and kept blowing the trip switch. Good customer service. Sent a new one straight out, received and fitted today. All sweet and purrs like a kitten.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Am actually pleased you told me that.
    I decided to avoid Salamander and recommended to the customer a Stuart and Turner. Reviews on the CT Salamander pumps are a bit mixed, so made me wary. But if problems are in a small minority, many of the unfortunate owners will no doubt make a review, thus giving a false perception of failure rates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Harvest Fields

To be fair I normally recommend stewart turner myself. But the custard wanted a direct swap

• Like Like x 1
  12. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Wish I had a direct swap job, but new pump is more compact than the rather lengthy old Salamander that is being replaced.
    No big deal though, just water off, new valves and 22mm offsets to bend, probably 3 at most. No problem really.
    Cylinder has thermostatic control, plus a Surrey or Warix flange, separate supplies, etc, so all in place already (my work)
    I was tempted to recommend a straight swap, but thought it fair to go with the extra cost for quality.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Harvest Fields

Think mine just didn’t want the hassle
    :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

My customer allowed me to decide which new pump to opt for. Silly prices though. An unvented cylinder cheaper

• Funny Funny x 1