Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Shower not getting hot water. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. jay90

jay90 New Member

Hi. I have a normal shower and an overhead rain shower that are all connected through one unit with two handles on the wall to switch between showers. A relative took a shower and instead of turning the unit on the wall off they just turned both taps up to stop water coming out of any shower. I turned the unit off a couple of hours later. Anyhow now when I switch on the shower it is only cold water running and will not give hot water out. Can anybody think what is wrong? Thankyou.

2. Chuck

Chuck Active Member

Can you upload a couple of photographs showing the shower unit and these handles, please?

What do you mean by "turned up" exactly? Fully clockwise or anticlockwise?

How do you normally operate the shower?

3. jay90

jay90 New Member

To operate the shower you press the on off switch. There are two handles on the wall to switch between showers. Both handles when turned outwards allow both showers to operate. When turned back up pointing to the ceiling turns both showers off.

4. Chuck

Chuck Active Member

So, you're saying that your guest left the system with no water flowing and but the shower unit 'on'.

Depending on the model of shower unit and type of installation this could be (a) fine, (b) cause a themal safey cut-out to trip, (c) caused failure of the heating unit.

We can rule out (a), which is what should have happened for a correctly installed and operating shower. Options (b) and (c) require a competent person to fix. You should also get them to review the installation to make sure it complies with the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Of course, the fault could just have occured by coincidence around the time you had a guest.

5. jay90

jay90 New Member

Would that be the thermostat? So is it nothing serious or costly?

6. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Do you have a couple of pictures ?

7. jay90

jay90 New Member

No I am. It in at the minute.

8. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

OP mentions on/off switch which suggests an electric shower, but I doubt any electric shower could operate a riser head and a rainfall head.
    Is this an electric shower?
    If it's a mixer (not electric) then what hot water system do you have? Is there a pump?

9. jay90

jay90 New Member

Yes t is an electric shower.