Search the forum,

Discuss Shower hot water is only tepid at best in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chi Sum Hau

As per the title.

Had the boiler recently, and while all of the other hot taps (bathroom sink, kitchen sink and downstairs toilet) are perfectly boiling, the shower hot water does not get up to the same temperature. It is tepid, lukewarm at best

Can anyone please shed any light as to why this is, and what a possible solution/fix may be?

Thanks!

image.jpg

Hopefully, the picture has attached. With the shower I have, will I need to get a plumber in to check the cartridge and filter?

Thanks for the responses so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Silly question but where will I find the make and model of my shower? Or does anyone know what brand and model it is?

Regarding the cartridge/filter, is it a DIY job or a plumber's job?

Thanks.

Do you know who installed the shower ? there are places where you can forward photos and they, with luck may recognise it, that's a problem with some of these flash looking units, when they go wrong it's a hell of a job to get parts.

Do you know who installed the shower ? there are places where you can forward photos and they, with luck may recognise it, that's a problem with some of these flash looking units, when they go wrong it's a hell of a job to get parts.

I have been over the shower with a fine tooth comb and there are no distinguishing marks or logos on. I think I am going to have to suck it up and ask for a plumber to come and have a look.

Thanks everyone for all of their comments and suggestions.

Did it work okay before?

If the incoming hot pipe is hot but only lukewarm in the shower it's normally the thermostat cartridge...

Did it work okay before?

If the incoming hot pipe is hot but only lukewarm in the shower it's normally the thermostat cartridge...

It worked perfectly fine before the boiler service, but all of the other hot taps work perfectly fine - however, can the problem arise from the boiler being serviced?

I can't access the incoming hot water pipe. In fact, I don't even know where it is. It seems that the whole shower seems like a sealed unit and I am unable to open it up to access the thermostat cartridge to change it, or even to remove the shower head.

I will take a better picture tomorrow of the shower head and various shots of the shower for any further advice, if that is ok?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm still having a hard time trying to identify the make of the shower and most if not all of the plumbers I have spoken to has said that they won't touch it.

Can anyone identify what shower this is by the picture? I know it's a big ask but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

well of course a boiler service can cause a problem with the shower as you mention...shower is different from other outlets..due to restriction on flow rates,,that make correct gas rates and modulation at boiler important...

I have worked on a couple of similar units, they usually are on lugs and whole unit pulls upwards and lifts off wall where you will find 2 flexible connections for hot & cold, they come as a unit when bought so easy install but pain if anything goes wrong. Where are you based? Unfortunately not many manufacturers mark there parts unfortunately. May be cheaper in long run to replace it with something more standard or a similar unit from British manufacturer.

I have worked on a couple of similar units, they usually are on lugs and whole unit pulls upwards and lifts off wall where you will find 2 flexible connections for hot & cold, they come as a unit when bought so easy install but pain if anything goes wrong. Where are you based? Unfortunately not many manufacturers mark there parts unfortunately. May be cheaper in long run to replace it with something more standard or a similar unit from British manufacturer.

I haven't tried the whole lift up and pull away from the wall. Might give that a go and see what I can find.

I am based in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire.

If I was to get a replacement unit, for something a little simpler and easier to service and maintain, how much am I looking at to spend?

Last edited by a moderator:
well of course a boiler service can cause a problem with the shower as you mention...shower is different from other outlets..due to restriction on flow rates,,that make correct gas rates and modulation at boiler important...

Yeah yeah... I had my van serviced last week & now my makita drill is making a funny noise, maybe there related too as it worked fine last week ;)

What a stupid comment to make ! if you read what the OP as written hot water is fine at all other outlets , just the shower that is the problem.

I sent off an enquiry to The Shower Doctor, and they are unable to identify the shower.

If I were to get a new shower unit, how much will it cost roughly? Will it better if I buy the shower separately and ask a plumber to install it?

I am sorry for all of the question,but I really want to get this resolved as my pregnant wife isn't happy with a lukewarm shower!

Thanks!

I sent off an enquiry to The Shower Doctor, and they are unable to identify the shower.

If I were to get a new shower unit, how much will it cost roughly? Will it better if I buy the shower separately and ask a plumber to install it?

I am sorry for all of the question,but I really want to get this resolved as my pregnant wife isn't happy with a lukewarm shower!

Thanks!

Call out a local plumber, he may be able to remove the cartridge, and find a replacement, there could be a name or numbers on cartridge that could help track it down, if not then he could advise on a replacement, impossible to give a cost of a replacement as lots of factors involved,

Most plumbers I have called are not interested in coming to remove the cartridge - I can only imagine that it is not worth their time and effort against the price they can charge for this work.

I have contacted some plumbers re a quote for a new shower.

Most plumbers I have called are not interested in coming to remove the cartridge - I can only imagine that it is not worth their time and effort against the price they can charge for this work.

I have contacted some plumbers re a quote for a new shower.

They have done you a favour in some respects. Dismantling the shower valve to remove the cartridge then re-assembling it so you can continue to take showers, albeit lukewarm, would cost maybe a couple of hours labour, and you still have no guarantee of being able to source a cartridge!

They have done you a favour in some respects. Dismantling the shower valve to remove the cartridge then re-assembling it so you can continue to take showers, albeit lukewarm, would cost maybe a couple of hours labour, and you still have no guarantee of being able to source a cartridge!

Very true!

I'm not far from Broxbourne. If you get no joy with the people you've contacted, feel free to drop me a PM. I'd be happy to give you a quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower hot water is only tepid at best in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
PLUMBING ADVICE NEEDED Combi boiler in our house, downstairs water seems to be piping hot. Upstairs basin, bath and shower only ever seems to be lukewarm - so much so that no one even wants to bath as it never gets hot enough! Open to suggestions as to what it might be and if anyone can...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a megaflo unvented indirect cylinder (125i) boiler is a Worcester greenstar. I have good pressure on the cold feed and all the usual stuff works, taps...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock