Search the forum,

Discuss Shock arrestors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozak1968

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Does anyone know if there is a calculation for fitting a shock arrestor to the incoming main to a boiler. All I can find is that a shock arrestor/ expansion should be fitted if a back flow prevention device is fitted to the main, ie a double check valve or water meter.There is nothing about the minimum length of pipe or volume of water required to take up the expansion from a combi boiler. I'm sure someone will point me in the right direction.... Thanks.

if the manufacturer advices one if pressure is high or non return valve fitted then you fit it, or as you say ... nil warranty

Intriguing question, those of us around before water meters are inclined to think of a supply through open stopcock all the way back to the water tower. In reality an anti backflow device is usually fitted at boundary even for households who opt for a non meter account.
The volume effect is offset to some degree by the thermal expansion of the pipes through which the water flows and a diversity principle, similar to electrics, may be appropriate.
Meanwhile, one is better than none. I suspect many appliance is protected by a dripping tap.
Without wanting to limit discussion. I would also consider an unvented DHW cylinder may offer additional protection.

I spec them on every combi regardless of what the MI say. For the sake of a small cost it saves any potential damage in the future. Plus if you went to the extent of figuring it out (if even realistically possible) , who is to say it wouldnt be modified in a years time by some other plumbing works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shock arrestors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I have been a plumber for 3 years now, I haven't come across many issues with water hammer so I'm not to sure what to do. it happens on the hot pipework, more specifically the hot taps in the bathroom (basin and bath). but it only seems to happen when I open the hot tap to a...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
R
I just had installed a Navien NPE-2 with built in recirculator pump. I have a dedicated return line. The check valve for the recirc is built into the unit; a spring check valve was placed on the cold line (per the manual) after which there is an expansion tank (on the cold line) in a T junction...
Replies
Views
Rogelio
R
Having a problem with a recent installation. Fitted new unvented cylinder and boiler. Everything fine for 6 months Then I get a call from my customer reporting a water hammer issue. I attend site and fit a shock arrestor. 2 days later he phones me back... still doing it. He says when you open a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock