Search the forum,

Discuss Several questions about JG Speedfit & Superseal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

colink

I am a DIY person but from a technical background.

Some basic questions about JG Speedfit

I see reference in other threads to JG to 'push fit'. Looking at a JG video on youtube they show a speedfit fitting where the outer ring is locked after pipe is installed.

Q1
Is there only 1 type of Speedfit fitting and when people refer to 'pushfit' is this the same thing?

Q2
If only one (or the type with a locK) must this lock be turned to lock position - or is it satisfactory to just push and leave the lock unlocked?

Q3
When would it be best practice to use a Superseal fitting? Should under wooden floor installations use Superseal or is standard insert satisfactory, as the pipes are unlikley to be disturbed?

Q4
The screwfix video showed specific pipe to use with JG Spedfit - this pipe has cutting points on the pipe. What is the significance of the cutting points? (I would be surprised to find that the pipe is a different structure at these points).

Q5
In my current house someone has installed JG Speedfit fittings but the pipe has no marking s on it. It would seem that this is not JG Pipe. I am aware that inserts should come from same supplier as the pipe. Do other pipe manufacturers produce an equivelant to a superseal insert - that works with JG Speedfit?

Thanks ColinK

Q1
Is there only 1 type of Speedfit fitting and when people refer to 'pushfit' is this the same thing?

There are many types of Speedfit fitting in other applications (automotive, brewery etc). There are only two main types of plumbing fitting, one of which only fits MDPE and is blue. However, John Guest changed their fitting design some years ago from a true pushfit to the current pushfit/twistlock

Q2
If only one (or the type with a locK) must this lock be turned to lock position - or is it satisfactory to just push and leave the lock unlocked?
Always lock it

Q3
When would it be best practice to use a Superseal fitting? Should under wooden floor installations use Superseal or is standard insert satisfactory, as the pipes are unlikley to be disturbed?

Use a superseal fitting in all installations, except when using a brass compression fitting. In the latter case, use a standard insert.

Q4
The screwfix video showed specific pipe to use with JG Spedfit - this pipe has cutting points on the pipe. What is the significance of the cutting points? (I would be surprised to find that the pipe is a different structure at these points).

No structural significance, but convenient for knowing whether you have pushed the pipe far enough into the fitting.

Q5
In my current house someone has installed JG Speedfit fittings but the pipe has no marking s on it. It would seem that this is not JG Pipe. I am aware that inserts should come from same supplier as the pipe. Do other pipe manufacturers produce an equivelant to a superseal insert - that works with JG Speedfit?

Strictly speaking any 15mm PEX made to BS should me more or less interchangeable. Fingers crossed. :)

Thanks got your prompt response Ray.

Clarification for Q1 & Q5

Q1
When I read about Push Fit are they referring to this type of JG (Push and lock) fitting.

is it possible that 'lazy' plumbers just Push and do not lock?

Q5
pipe made by other than JG should fit correctly into a JG speed fit connector. Am I correct that each of these manufacturers produce their own insert? If so do they all produce their own Superseal equivalent - which should also be a perfect fit for JG?

Thanks ColinK

Strictly speaking any 15mm PEX made to BS should me more or less interchangeable. Fingers crossed. :)

However, if you mix pipe and fittings from different manufacturers, and the fitting leaks, which manufacturer's warranty will you claim off? :)

However, if you mix pipe and fittings from different manufacturers, and the fitting leaks, which manufacturer's warranty will you claim off? :)

Indeed. There used to be a gentlemens agreement amongst the manufacturers that the fitting manufacturer would put their hand up, but that stopped some years ago.

However, the OP already has mixed fittings and pipe, and therefore has little choice, unless he rips it all out and starts again.

if your the house owner and an employer of a plumbing installer, you have to chase/sue the installer for compensation, who has to chase/sue the merchant he bought it all from, who has to chase/sue the manufacturers if you follow the way retail law normally works, but ray may well know different in commercial retail. Just note a manufacturers warranty is only a voluntary thing, what really counts is ones expectation of whether an item was fit for purpose and did it perform to expectation. Then you really open a can of worms :)

if your the house owner and an employer of a plumbing installer, you have to chase/sue the installer for compensation, who has to chase/sue the merchant he bought it all from, who has to chase/sue the manufacturers if you follow the way retail law normally works, but ray may well know different in commercial retail. Just note a manufacturers warranty is only a voluntary thing, what really counts is ones expectation of whether an item was fit for purpose and did it perform to expectation. Then you really open a can of worms :)

We don't have any reason to think that there is currently an issue here that would require these forms of redress - the warranty issue is a theoretical suggestion raised by Mas.

Thanks got your prompt response Ray.

Clarification for Q1 & Q5

Q1
When I read about Push Fit are they referring to this type of JG (Push and lock) fitting.

Q5
pipe made by other than JG should fit correctly into a JG speed fit connector. Am I correct that each of these manufacturers produce their own insert? If so do they all produce their own Superseal equivalent - which should also be a perfect fit for JG?

Thanks ColinK

You seem to be ***** footing around an issue?

Do you have a problem with some pipes?

Q1

Yes. The term "pushfit" is a generic one, and tends to be used for almost any fitting which doesn't require soldering, compressing or crimping to make the joint.

I'm sure it happens, but I don't recommend it. I have seen "soldered" fittings last for donkeys years without a drop of solder - just held together with flux and luck, when the plumber forgot to solder it. If you do enough plumbing, eventually you will forget something.
Forgetting the insert is regrettably common.

There have been a variety of PEX pipes sold in the UK over the years. Its a great deal cheaper to change the extrusion head on a pipe making machine to make 15mm if you are a foreign manufacturer than it is to tool up to make the 40 or 50 required fittings to have a complete range. Therefore the sources of pipe greatly outnumber the sources of fittings. Many will be completely unidentifiable.

Trying to find an insert made by whoever made the pipe may be a wild goose chase.

Ray, how do you quote several parts of a post like you did in post No. 2 and 10 ?

Ray, how do you quote several parts of a post like you did in post No. 2 and 10 ?

firstly use the "reply with quote" option.

You see the section at the beginning and end that comes in square brackets? Just mess with them.

So for instance if I type

{quote=Ray} hello world {/quote}

but replace the {} with square brackets, it looks like this

Ray said:
hello world

firstly use the "reply with quote" option.

You see the section at the beginning and end that comes in square brackets? Just mess with them.

trying it out!

ray said:
So for instance if I type

{quote=Ray} hello world {/quote}

but replace the {} with square brackets, it looks like this

You learn something new everyday! Now I can tear apart others post even more effectively! :63:

Last edited by a moderator:
You seem to be ***** footing around an issue?

Do you have a problem with some pipes?

I do have a problem with a plumber. I thought that simply asking clear questions, without getting into personality or dispute issues would be the simplest way to get clear answers which Ray managed to give me on both occasions.

Sorry that you thought omitting side issues was ***** footing.

ColinK

Hi Ray

Thanks for your clear answers - again.

I may well be back for more of your wisdom

ColinK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Several questions about JG Speedfit & Superseal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock