Search the forum,

Discuss Servicing gas fire gas valve. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary80gas

Gas Engineer
Ive just shut off a Main madrigal gas fire because the gas valve is jamming and not shutting off the gas when the pilot is extinguished.
I cant get a replacement valve because of the age of the fire. G.C. 32-477-65.
How easy is it to service these valves, what will I need and what is the success rate?
If i can't service it the whole fire will have to be replaced, I'd prefer to fix it.
Any help appreciated.

they cant be serviced / not worth the hassel

Your probably right, im sure if I got it working it would be difficult to guarantee and end in a call back. Im still hoping someone will post it can be done.

Your probably right, im sure if I got it working it would be difficult to guarantee and end in a call back. Im still hoping someone will post it can be done.

If it is a standard plug type valve like most gas fires and cookers have, then it will most likely come apart and be serviceable. I would use high temp grease if you do get to that stage.

However, there is probably a greater chance of it turning into one of those "I wish i'd never seen it" jobs rather than an award winning success. As long as the customer knows it is a last ditch attempt that is likely to fail but still cost money, then go for it (always play the pessimist) . You also need to be confident that it will last and remain safe for a year or so following your visit, as you are the last to work on it !!!

Thanks for the advice Last Plumber. You've also identified that grey area of responsibility bringing a failed component back to life, if its safe when you test it in operation then that's the job done, surely. If you've no reason to believe it will fail but it does a month later, how are you to know. I know I would test it over and over before walking away. I couldn't leave a temporary fix on a gas fire.

Thanks for the advice Last Plumber. You've also identified that grey area of responsibility bringing a failed component back to life, if its safe when you test it in operation then that's the job done, surely. If you've no reason to believe it will fail but it does a month later, how are you to know. I know I would test it over and over before walking away. I couldn't leave a temporary fix on a gas fire.

The thing is you will have to warrenty the part for 12 months as you've stripped and serviced it also your modifing a part

I wouldn't get involved in stripping a gas valve down. How do you confirm its all within manufacturers tolerances etc. High risk, low reward. Not sure on the legalities of modifying a gas part either.

That makes sense, is that actual consumer law?

No I don't think so.

There is nothing wrong in a Qualified Engineer using his or her skill to service, maintain or repair something. Cleaning and lubricating a gas tap (if that's all it turns out to be), is classed as maintenance and is an acceptable thing to do.

With the 12 month comment I made, I was more meaning that if it were me doing it, I would personally need to feel confident that it would last that long for my own peace of mind. I would also be looking at it that the responsible person should be getting the fire serviced again in twelve months time.

As far as modifying a part goes, I would disagree with that (no offence meant here Shaun/mfgs). To modify something is to make an alteration to the original item or appliance that was manufactured. In this case you are simply servicing an item that was designed to be serviced. Again, I am presuming that we are talking about the plug type common gas fire/cooker taps.

Last edited:
I also didn't understand fully the term modify the part. To me that means changing the part dimensions. Servicing to me is basically cleaning and greasing, retesting.
The part I originally posted for help is a thermoelectric gas fire valve. I serviced the pilot light tubes to get the pilot working, then tested the thermocouple and it was working. Then extinguished the pilot and the valve didn't shut down, no click, struck a match and pilot relit.
To me its jammed open and my gut instinct is to pull it apart and clean it, but first I looked for replacement part with no luck.
I work alone and just wanted to get a feel for how others were approaching a similar problem.

I also didn't understand fully the term modify the part. To me that means changing the part dimensions. Servicing to me is basically cleaning and greasing, retesting.
The part I originally posted for help is a thermoelectric gas fire valve. I serviced the pilot light tubes to get the pilot working, then tested the thermocouple and it was working. Then extinguished the pilot and the valve didn't shut down, no click, struck a match and pilot relit.
To me its jammed open and my gut instinct is to pull it apart and clean it, but first I looked for replacement part with no luck.
I work alone and just wanted to get a feel for how others were approaching a similar problem.

To Modify something is to alter it from how the manufacturer intended. So for example, you could use a different multi-functional gas valve on a Boiler to the one specified. It would work as long as it delivers the correct BP, Gas rate and is the same electrically but you would have modified it from the original specifications.
This is frowned upon by pretty much everybody and for obvious reasons.

If the thermometric valve is not closing, you would have to investigate why. It may well be that the thing has failed. It is normally pretty obvious pretty quick. I think it's worth a look.

Don't forget that a lot of parts where used on other appliances. Sometimes it is worth identifying the part itself - if that's possible - as they may still be available when that particular appliance is obsolete.

Thanks Last Plumber. I looked at some generic gas fire valves but they didn't match the design. It wouldn't surprise me to find the spare part is still out there somewhere. The fires more than 30 yrs old and using the GC 32 477 65 spares are listed on internet but not available.
The customer has already agrees to replace the fire later this year so maybe after ive stripped it out i'll pull it apart on the kitchen table.

You are required to carry out work t a reasonable standard. There is no "requirement" to warrant work for 12 months. Ideal warrant parts for 12 months but labour for only, IIRC, 12 weeks. Total farce from them, check their T&C's before recommending their Fixed price repairs.

Anyway, I was amuse by the chat about the valve, and guys not being able t work on them. FFS, we are service engineers, we are supposed to repair stuff. Having said that, if it has a TE valve, then it is that section that is sticking on. I can't recall ever having that problem, TBH. I would offer the punter the option of a new fire, or agreeing for me to attempt to dismantle to look for problem. If it is the valve I am thinking off, the solenoid is on the end opposite to the knob, and screws off. But even I would be reticent as to the likely success.And the fire is ancient, and unlikely to be a fire for which parts are available

I might approach it along the lines of "I will attempt to repair it, but it is 'do or die', and I don't work for nothing. I will charge X amount, with no guarantee if success, short or long term, but if I cant get it working, I will waive the fee on the understanding that I fit a new fire at X cost.

But it needs to be in writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Servicing gas fire gas valve. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, My customer has a gas fire (Gazco Logic HE fire, about 10 years old). It's a slide control fire. The fire has become difficult to light. One has to push a lot more firmly down on the control slide to get it to light. At which point, all is fine. The pilot is good, new battery...
Replies
Views
I have a portable gas fire which keeps switching off. The pilot light lifts for 10 seconds, critically above the thermocouple and then the gas cuts out. It i smore noticeable when I walk past it and stir a slight breeze. I have blown out the pilot light assembly and it worked for an entire day...
Replies
Views
D
Recently noticed a gas smell coming from my ideal classic RS50 boiler. Cadent have been out and confirmed a small leak and capped off the gas. The question I have though is that the gas smell only appears when the boiler fires up not when the pilot is burning normally. Gas smell continues as...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock