Search the forum,

Discuss servicing adverts £49 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is just one thing I personally hate about the analyzer service. When you go through any safety check the cp12 askes VISUAL INSPECTION OF FLUE. How can you do that with the casing on. And how can you ensure the safety devices are operating correctly.

The GSUR demand that this is done on every service. A safety Check is not a service and should be advertised differently
:yes::yes::yes::yes:

BG don't charge for their check it is included in the maintenance contract.

BG started with the analyser "service" about 15 or so years ago. Part of their 3 star cover was to include an annual service. As we all know balanced flued boilers generally are normally pretty clean inside, so they decided it was a waste of manpower to have someone actually strip it down. Much quicker and cost effective to "check" if it really needed servicing. So their included service really became a check. All the major contract providers are the same.

Now analysers are commonplace and actually opening a band A is only advised if the readings say so, this practice has become the norm for all boilers. Its should be called as it is though, a combustion check which is totally different from a service.

An analyser it not necessary or required to service a std boiler but it is another tool to use as part of one. You don't need to own or have access to one either, just be able to interpret the results.
Btw, anyone who sticks an analyser in an open flue boiler as an annual check and accepts the readings as being fine is off their head.

Yeah I think you are spot on there it should be called a check and not a service if all you do is stick your probe in the flue. I understand this has become the norm now for all band A boilers, do you personally think it is worth taking the case off if the combustion analysis is perfect? Or are you just wasting time as you know everything will be fine?

Combustion analysis doesnt tell you if there is a leak in the boiler which is causing the case to rust does it? It doesnt tell you alot of things. I have had a vaillant with a cracked flue collector, which is ID, but it passed the intial combustion check.

Although most gas engineers will argue with this.
A modern gas boiler needs very little in the way of a service. In fact in may cases it is just measuring the current
burning of the boiler and if this meets requirements the boiler can be left with only a basic check of other parts.
I consider £49 reasonable. I will quite happily service gas boilers all day for £49 a shot.

I do a full boiler service for £40, I am just starting out on my own, i am currently employed. it's more of a temporary price till i get enough customers.
check everything for this.
remove and clean burner/heat exch, gaskets extra if condencing boiler
check bp,wp at boiler and meter, gas rate, flue annalyser, cheack all rads working, tanks in loft, loads more, ive got a full list on my website, I know thats too cheap and I don't want to lower rates in my area but its a good way to get my name out there to new customers. Once I have a decent work load and leave my company I am with now, i plan to increase prices as I would like to think the customers will come back because I did a good job not just because its cheap.

I do a full boiler service for £40, I am just starting out on my own, i am currently employed. it's more of a temporary price till i get enough customers.
check everything for this.
remove and clean burner/heat exch, gaskets extra if condencing boiler
check bp,wp at boiler and meter, gas rate, flue annalyser, cheack all rads working, tanks in loft, loads more, ive got a full list on my website, I know thats too cheap and I don't want to lower rates in my area but its a good way to get my name out there to new customers. Once I have a decent work load and leave my company I am with now, i plan to increase prices as I would like to think the customers will come back because I did a good job not just because its cheap.

You'll keep some customers. Others will just go for cheapest always. Pay peanuts they get monkeys.

Confucious Say!
It always easier to reduce prices than increase them!

SOme think that if you are the cheapest, then you must be the worst. I prefer to charge what others locally are doing but do a better job, customers will always come back and recommend. But do a bad job they will also slate you to freinds and family.

the trouble with doing a service for £40 is your customers will always expect it to be that cheap, and when you put your prices up someone else will be cheaper than you and you will lose most of them. you cant run a business on these sort of prices you will become a busy fool for a while and then go back to working for someone because of less hassle. i get really annoyed when i see vans with boiler servicing prices on the back doors not only does it look desperate, it drags the professionalism of the trade down . start as you mean to go on, charge a decent rate and promote good workmanship thats the way forward.
phew ! im goin to bed now

[. And how can you ensure the safety devices are operating correctly.

:yes::yes::yes::yes:[/QUOTE]

Just turn the gas off below the boiler and the boiler should try to relight. Eventually it should go to lock out.
Saftey device working correctly!

depends on applaince, boiler with permanant pilot should click within 20 secs, if it takes longer than safety device is not opperating in required time, also check gas valve for letby, wont always show up on tigtness test, if small drop. Gas fires have a longer time allowance on there safety device. Just turning off gas and waiting to boiler to lockout is not proof the safety device is working correctly

depends on applaince, boiler with permanant pilot should click within 20 secs, if it takes longer than safety device is not opperating in required time, also check gas valve for letby, wont always show up on tigtness test, if small drop. Gas fires have a longer time allowance on there safety device. Just turning off gas and waiting to boiler to lockout is not proof the safety device is working correctly

and the safety check for a gas cooker (just testing)

aren't we allowed 60 seconds for boilers ?

That was off the top of my head mate, ive got a book somewere, pretty sure its 20 but will check for sure later. Was just trying to point out that you cant test a safety device just from iscolation valve

FSD shutdown times
* BOILERS 60 SEC
* W / AIR HEATERS 60 SEC
* COOKERS (oven) 90 SEC
* WATER HEATERS 90 SEC
* D.F.E. GAS FIRES 120 SEC
* OTHER GAS FIRES 180 SEC

Last edited:

think you need to check your 20 sec for shut down of boiler FSD, regs say within 60 secs not 20

replied to this post before reading that others had done so, on the testing of the FSD its disaponiting how many reassessment guys describe the testing of a boiler FSD as "shut the gas and listen for the click" aaaahhh that drives me mad, i tell them "no i told you to confirm the FSD is working, you havent done that" they are amazed that they need to confirm the gas isnt passing through by using their u guage, dont know what these guys are doing every day while servicing the old appliances

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to servicing adverts £49 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock