Search the forum,

Discuss Self employment advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys. I’ve been Plumbing for the last 7 years and for the last 18months I have been self employed(subby). I more like fell into self employment rather than chose to be. A couple of bad decisions along the way. Unfortunately I don’t have my own van due to getting married last year but also have had vans from my employer before. Apart from actually getting a loan or lease are there any help schemes or anything for the self employed? Probably not I know, but I find I’m not wanting to promote myself whilst having to use the car. We all know it’s pretty impossible to trade out of a car and also in my opinion looks a bit DIY.
Any advice you guys can offer would be a great help.

Buy a cheap van or start a lease, finance, loan are the only options I think.
It can be a bit of a money pit if you get something that needs money spent.
Do you travel far?

Buy a cheap van or start a lease, finance, loan are the only options I think.
It can be a bit of a money pit if you get something that needs money spent.
Do you travel far?
No I wouldn’t plan to mate tbf.

Do you have any spare cash at all? Could probably pick up a 10 year old belingo for around a £1000.00. Will have massive mileage though.

Sell the car ! PX for a van, look on eBay or Auto-trader you may find someone who wants a swap, you don't need a car, when I started I used a van for everything for over 6 years

Sell the car ! PX for a van, look on eBay or Auto-trader you may find someone who wants a swap, you don't need a car, when I started I used a van for everything for over 6 years
Ha. I wish I could mate. For the first time in 19 years I don’t own a vehicle it’s my wife’s car. Financially this is the worst situation I’ve ever been in. Ironically I got into to Plumbing to earn/provide a better living for my family.

Ha. I wish I could mate. For the first time in 19 years I don’t own a vehicle it’s my wife’s car. Financially this is the worst situation I’ve ever been in. Ironically I got into to Plumbing to earn/provide a better living for my family.

Then to be honest to be self employed without transport your up S--t creek without a paddle, but shop around some cheep vans around & as long as its got service history it could be ok . Check out MOT history on DVLA web site see anything it failed on. you don't need anything new or flash , my old transit is 16 years old and does everything I need , customers don't care about your van , only what you charge.

If money is bad then why not go back to being employed with a company who will supply a vehicle. Then you can get saving and have some money behind you for if you want to start out on your own again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Self employment advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock