Search the forum,

Discuss Second Hand Boiler fitting in rented accomodation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

princegoose

Hi, a landlord has asked me to fit a second hand boiler (once im GSF, next week, :() in one of his lets. Ive been told by someone else this isnt allowed. Ive searched my corgi and viper books but found nothing. maybe a call to GS is on the cards???

part (e) 26 (1) of the regs.

if its only taking you a week to get g.s.registered i am not surprised you have a problem interpreting the regs.lol
not passed mine yet but i know where to find it, or not find it.

i have always took into mind that unless a fitter is well experienced, it is advisable to stay away from installing 'used' appliances as they can and pose a greater risk to the consumer.
like i say, i may be wrong but i have not passed all my papers yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

if its only taking you a week to get g.s.registered i am not surprised you have a problem interpreting the regs.lol
not passed mine yet but i know where to find it, or not find it.

i have always took into mind that unless a fitter is well experienced, it is advisable to stay away from installing 'used' appliances as they can and pose a greater risk to the consumer.
like i say, i may be wrong but i have not passed all my papers yet.

Not that it means much to 'old school' plumbers anymore, or to fast track plumbers but did my 4 year apprenticship, with a years experience before that, did my ACS a few weeks ago and waiting for Logic to send out my certificate.

Im sure everyone on here has years more experience than me and have gone about being a 'plumber' the 'right way'. Which is why its a good place for advice.

Ive read the landlord sections of the viper book and corgi book without finding it, and dont think i was being negligent by asking on here as well.

Im sure ive read somewhere in regs something about second hand gas appliances but for the life of me cant find it again, its doing my head in, i thought it was in this senction too, after i thought it was in part F 36, I then scanned part G and B, Im sure I had a question on it in my ACS or definitly saw it sometime in the hours and hours and hours of referencing. `

Me personally i would not fit a second hand boiler for a scumlord i mean landlord to save them money ,however drop an email to gas safe and get there take on it .this is a bit of a grey area if all the paper work is with the boiler MI etc and is re -commissioned properly it would be no different to re-installing a used gas cooker (range) in the event someone had moved house and wanted it re fitted . (or would it)?

it is perfectly acceptable to fit a second hand appliance, as long as:
it is in sound condition
you have MI
the refit doesnt cause any damage to it or the flue
it is an appliance that can be fitted as per regs in force ie today
however there are lots of people who wont fit secondhand as they cannot guarantee 100% compliance with the above, and you will get the inevitable call back saying it isnt working now and worked for yrs before you moved it

it is in sound condition
you have MI
however there are lots of people who wont fit secondhand as they cannot guarantee 100% compliance with the above, and you will get the inevitable call back saying it isnt working now and worked for yrs before you moved itt

Thats why I wont even move a boiler within the same house unless I installed it

it is in sound condition
you have MI
however there are lots of people who wont fit secondhand as they cannot guarantee 100% compliance with the above, and you will get the inevitable call back saying it isnt working now and worked for yrs before you moved it

ditto kirkgas, regs are fine with secondhand gas appliances 26(3), if you always remember 26(9) though with everything you do you'll not go far wrong. Don't worry princegoose none of us know it all, I would recommend you get a copy of the regs though, they're only about 12 quid!

Or better yet ... get 'em for free:

[DLMURL="http://books.hse.gov.uk/hse/public/saleproduct.jsf?catalogueCode=9780717616350"]Safety in the installation and use of gas systems and appliances - HSE Books[/DLMURL]

Or better yet ... get 'em for free:

[DLMURL="http://books.hse.gov.uk/hse/public/saleproduct.jsf?catalogueCode=9780717616350"]Safety in the installation and use of gas systems and appliances - HSE Books[/DLMURL]

ah yes of course, I'm still a bit old school though, I still think that a book is something that you hold in your hands, aint got yphone niether lol

A friend of a friend of a friend asked me to commission a new combi which has been installed / fitted by a contractor who had gone bust nearly seven years ago (non condensing) the gas side of things were never installed or the flue or the mains water supply.

I contacted gas safe they said no problem

anyway band B boiler 94.7% efficient co 92%

not bad really

Nice one KIRKGAS, hit the nail on the head. If you fit a secondhand appliance you must ensure the appliance is fit for purpose. MI's the lot. Its a bit like if you sell a secondhand gas appliance. It must be tested have all the paperwork in order to satisfy the sales of goods and services act. Personaly I would'nt get involved, you leaving yourself open to potential hassel with no manufacturer's backup.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the new part L regs only allow for Sedbuk A boilers. This should rule out most second hand boilers.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the new part L regs only allow for Sedbuk A boilers. This should rule out most second hand boilers.

your right but until January band b apply as well

Good point NAS. What's the latest on Part L. Band A boilers only just about to come in? From 1st October 2010 you can not specify anything less. That includes secondhand appliances. Tell the landlord to put the CDi in the skip or use t for spare's.

ditto kirkgas, regs are fine with secondhand gas appliances 26(3), if you always remember 26(9) though with everything you do you'll not go far wrong. Don't worry princegoose none of us know it all, I would recommend you get a copy of the regs though, they're only about 12 quid!

you dont need to buy the regs surely you know SOMEONE who could email you a copy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Second Hand Boiler fitting in rented accomodation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock