Search the forum,

Discuss second bathroom in attic query in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

I have a question about adding a second bathroom to a house. My parents house has one bathroom upstairs and the house is all mains fed the water tank was removed decades ago. They are converting the attic and will have a small bathroom with a toilet, basin and shower cubicle.
When connecting the new bathroom to the current pipework what is needed for example, how do you connect the new shower to the existing pipework or do you need to have a separate feed? Also are any valves required as it will be additional bathroom connected to what pipes are in the attic, just want to make sure everything is legit and all the right materials are acquired, thanks.

What system do they have ?

Honestly you can leave all of that up to whoever is doing the work.
You can ask them to use all copper pipe etc if you wish but make sure you say the same thing to each potential quoter do that the quotes are comparable.

They have a gas combi boiler only a few years old but big enough for a 4 bedroom house. There is a big pipe which feeds into the bathroom downstairs, can you use that same pipe by connecting a new copper pipe to the new shower or would you need to create a separate feed to the upstairs bathroom.
One plumber said he would just need to join on a new copper pipe to the existing pipe with isolation valves and a NRV but another plumber said he would make a separate pipe connection so just thinking which one is right if any? thanks

As it’s off a combi doesn’t really matter either way is fine

Water mains pressure needs to be considered.
How high is the shower head in the loft, how much pressure do you have at ground level?
Any Plumber worth his (or her) salt will know what to check and how to pipe it for the best.

Thank you for the reply. The ground floor of the house in the kitchen has lower pressure maybe around 7 to 8 LPM, the first floor bathroom has 12 Lpm water pressure The attic has all the pipe work which connect to the downstairs bathroom, so the last plumber suggested cutting at the existing bathroom pipe in the attic and adding a new pipe which connects to the new bathroom shower, would any valves be necessary, the first floor bathroom water supply won't be mixed with the new bathrooms will it and does this seem about right?

Thank you for the reply. The ground floor of the house in the kitchen has lower pressure maybe around 7 to 8 LPM, the first floor bathroom has 12 Lpm water pressure The attic has all the pipe work which connect to the downstairs bathroom, so the last plumber suggested cutting at the existing bathroom pipe in the attic and adding a new pipe which connects to the new bathroom shower, would any valves be necessary, the first floor bathroom water supply won't be mixed with the new bathrooms will it and does this seem about right?
It is the pressure you need to know. It will be in bar normally. Needs to be measured with a gauge.

Reply to second bathroom in attic query in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock