Search the forum,

Discuss sealing around flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yamahamark

Hi guys

Eon recently serviced system boiler located in converted garage now a room.
Flue got damaged during renovation but replaced by gas safe engineer, however the whole around it wasnt sealed so you can feel a draft from the wall cavity.

I need to seal the whole around the flue pipe, so can i use expanding foam or does it have to be mortar?

Thanks

Yeah was just thinking foam quicker, easier and less mess.

Looks like i'll do what you suggested although its a bit awkward getting in with a trowel.

Thanks for your reply :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Carefull using too much foam cos it will spew everywhere when it expands.

Can i take it theres no issue or gas reg restricting use of foam as dont want eon moaning at next service.

I have used this stuff before on the odd occasion so understand not to squirt too much out!

Should have a fire guard plate and sealed with intumescent fire cement.

I wouldn't use expanding foam. I once saw a flue sealed with expanding foam and the foam warped and disturbed the flue joint. Admittidly the joint was screwed but still it wasn't a pretty site.

any suitable seal that meets the fire rating of the wall and the manufacturers instructions should be fine. Sand a cement is the best option really, easy to mess with in the future also when you have a new boiler.

Ok thanks.

Just got some sand cement mix, little job for tomorrow.

if the gaps quite big then use some fibreglass out ya loft to pack it out alittle first. If its a condensing boiler make sure it has a slighty rise to outside, if its a standard non condensing boiler its best to be level or have a slight fall.

also patch it up with the boiler turned off. :)

if the gaps quite big then use some fibreglass out ya loft to pack it out alittle first. If its a condensing boiler make sure it has a slighty rise to outside, if its a standard non condensing boiler its best to be level or have a slight fall.

also patch it up with the boiler turned off. :)
Good advice thanks as the hole is a right mess as core drill not used so the brick is a mess.

Photo of flue, this was all boxed in and screws were filled over and painted. So once done i'll make sure the panel will be easily removable for inspection.

Attachments

• CAM00254.jpg
    CAM00254.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited by a moderator:
hahaha thats a gud one i love pics. sand and cement like the guys say but fire rated foam aint illigal as far as i know ( please quote bs if im wrong or edit post mods), as long as no fumes come back in and the filling substance has a fire rating.

Suppose it would have been better to post photo earlier, however as new to forum i have only just found out how to do it.

Never too late fella. I'd have the installer back as making good is part of the job......

Total shyte job. Don't want to worry you but if he left that what else has he left. Maybe down to the money.

All done now, thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• CAM00261.jpg
    CAM00261.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 102
  • CAM00258.jpg
    CAM00258.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 113
The hole is filled With mortar? Cant really fill any more as i would be covering The join between flue pipe and 90deg bend.

Think he used a stick of dynamite to blow that hole through !! Annoys me that , as i dont leave the job untill ive patched the holes up. Never mind leave it full stop !

Think he used a stick of dynamite to blow that hole through !! Annoys me that , as i dont leave the job untill ive patched the holes up. Never mind leave it full stop !

Hehe, i once made some tnt at college by mistake when i mixed the wrong chemicals together!

To say the leastvmy tutor wasnt too impressed!

You even used a cardboard cutout to protect the boiler! What's your number I hate making good!

You even used a cardboard cutout to protect the boiler! What's your number I hate making good!

Im a bit messy with a trowel hence the cardboard, plus its its easier spending a little extra time doing something at home Where the time/money factor doesnt come into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to sealing around flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock