Search the forum,

Discuss Sealed system Air and leaks. HELP! At wits end. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My heating system was changed from a vented to unvented OIL system.

I have a magnaclean, nearly all the radiators are new.

The maganclean is cleanish after months of use.

I keep getting air in my system, and before you chastise me, I swear I cannot see any leak.
The pressure keeps dropping too, until it gets to about 0.3 bar and then stays there.

The tallest radiator is four floors up from the heating pump.
The hot tank is on the third floor where the pipes from the boiler go first and then to the second floor to the manifold.

The pipes are micro pipes to the radiators from the manifold, but I think 3/4 inch from the boiler to the manifold.

I am grateful for any advice given including what kind of heating pump I need to pump up 4 floors.

Thank you.

Last edited:
How long since the work was done ?

It’s not usual to have to top the pressure up a couple of times on bigger systems, micro bore can be a pain. Trapped pockets of air can take a little while to clear, automatic air vents will clear the air and pressure will drop. Some will dissipate also. Eitherway call back the crew that fitted it all?

all old central heating pipework converted from open vented to sealed...I will probably get a lot of hate for this but personally its asking for trouble. you probably have small leaks under floorboards causing pressure drop and air getting sucked into system.

I appreciate your replies. The air doesn't happen until about 45mins into the cycle, but then there is a large thumping gurgling sound. I have air vents in, one on outlet from boiler and one above hot tank.
The air only happens when the heating is on but who knows, maybe it is only pumped round to where I can really hear it by the pump when the heating is on

That's not air sounds like it's ovetheating

It would be worth checking that the seals at the circulating pump are in good condition and tightened properly. I have seen air ingress caused on the vacuum side of the pump pulling in a steady stream of air into the system without leaking any water. We also had one of our plumbers on the forum getting air ingress and being unable to locate it. I suggested to check the pump seals and it did turn out to be that. However this is usually a slow process that takes a while to show a drop in pressure but still worth checking.

Also ShaunCorbs could well be correct and it's an overheating problem so that needs investigating. Have you checked to see if the pressure relief valve is discharging water? If there is an expansion issue, as the water temperature increases so does the pressure. If the expansion vessel is undercharged (or possibly a faulty PRV) the expansion has nowhere to go and cause PRV discharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealed system Air and leaks. HELP! At wits end. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like air, and the landing radiator needs bleeding regularly (about once a month), even though it isn't the highest point in the system. The two upright rads...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
L
I can see the small leak in back boiler, have tried all sorts of products to seal it. have drained the radiators but pressure from water in actual and pipes boiler keeping it wet!! any ideas please to seal, its my only heating.
Replies
Views
LyndaB
L
We have a Daikin Air Source heat pump feeding our hot water and under-floor 8 port manifold heating system. The Daikin has just had its annual service and the engineer commented that the water looked discoloured and that the inhibitor needed replacing?? Is this an easy procedure? I'm pretty...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock