Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss seal shower tray, possibly 3 layers all together or separate? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

hi there,
    hopefully this is a nice easy one, i need to reseal around a shower.

After removing the old sealant (way too much) it looks like i'm left with 3 sections which will need to be done. I think they "tiled" into a tiling strip (its defo attached to the tile, and has grout up to it in some places) and the shower base has dropped. so i think the 3 section idea is the only way to cover all my bases as the strip will not remove.

1 run along the shower base to the bottom of the strip, 1 along the top of the strip to the tiles, and one over all this lot to make it smoother and hide the fact the damn thing is cream!
    so do i try do this all in one go? or do i seal the tray and above strip sections then let these dry and then do the 3rd over this?
    i do have dow c 785.
    the pics show masking tape etc.
    cheers
    Imgur
    Imgur

2. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Difficult one actually to make any sort of decent seal on. Why anyone ever fitted those type of alleged seal strips is beyond me.
    They are a problem where they meet the shower door.
    Only way to do it right is rip entire lot out and redo it all, including tray. Once a bodge, always a bodge.
    I would also wonder why the tray has sunk.
    It might be possible to cut the plastic seal flush where it comes out of wall and then fit a quadrant white trim, sealing it all with good silicone. But that requires accurate mitred corners and careful install.
    Can look really well if done right.
    Probably all you can do is fix the existing work and just prepare the surfaces and silicone all joints. You will be able to get the silicone nozzle between trim and tray and put plenty of silicone the full length. But need to have that space fairly clean.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

Thank you very very much
    I know its a mess, believe me when I say this is one of the better jobs in this new home.
    I'm secretly hoping that it moved a while ago and won't move any more giving a level ish base. Sadly the tray does slope the wrong way to drain, but for now I can live with it.
    I'm going to try the seal idea, thank you for your advice. So would I seal the gap from tray to strip, fully. Let dry. Then seal from the strip to the tile and let dry?
    Would you then put a big fat seal over the whole thing so the horrible plastic thing (and the top and bottom seals as well) is also covered? This at least would be white. And might provide a double redundancy? I know having something that thick is bad and doesn't look good but my main concern is water tight seal. But I've heard that sealant doesn't stick to itself so would this work? Or would I need to do all three at same time? Or make it thick enough to find something to stick to the tray and tile either side of the thinner ones?
    Sorry if this is a silly question.

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

does the tray go all the way to the wall eg full width?

5. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

Basically yes, 3 walls and the door.
    Thank you again

E: to clarify I meant use sealant, not strips, sorry my bad.

6. ShaunCorbs

if your sure it goes fullu to the walls / past the tiles you can cut the plastic trim off and use something like this

Brilliant White 18mm Round Quadrant (2.5m | Kestrel)

or some flat pencil cloaking

• Like Like x 1
  7. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

Brilliant, I'll look into it tomorrow, every job I touch causes several more here. So am worried about trying to trim this stuff, as its rather hard.
    So if I do choose to just try the sealant only option, can I ask how would you go about it? Bottom, top then over the two? Let dry in between or all together if possible? Or just top and bottom and not over the top.
    Or is it a silly idea?

8. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

I have tried siliconing same sort of bodges and it really never looks good and no way you can be certain to have it sealed.
    The old trim is actually fairly thin and easy to cut off.
    The quad trim Shaun mentioned is same as I meant.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ShaunCorbs

new stanley blade and you should be fine

and just top and bottom but have some weight in / on the tray

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ShaunCorbs

sorry best didnt read your fully

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

Brilliant, thanks Gents, I'll have another look to see if this stuff will come of, but I don't think I can get it trimmed back to the wall there will always be some plastic there.
    I also worry given the state of the jobs done, that gently trimming the plastic would result in a tile coming loose or something. Trust me, this house, even the illogical happens!

Can I ask, although I know its silly, and will look terrible, if I remove the plastic strip, could I just whack a load of sealant into this larger gap? Would that potentially create a better seal than doing the top and bottom bits around the existing plastic?
    I know ideally id love to use that quadrant but just would like to know all options?

Also I assume this all applies only if its stable? I'll try the pencil mark and somebody standing in it to double check but it did seem stable when I've checked.
    Again sorry for all the questions, I just like to have all the answers for in the morning when I get it done.
    Thank you once again

12. ShaunCorbs

yes you can but it wouldnt look good

and depends how much it moves more than a couple of mm somthing needs to be don

• Like Like x 1
  13. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

Brilliant, thank you very much.
    I'll have a good look in the morning and go from there.
    This is the shower if it helps:

IMG_20180303_002735.jpg IMG_20180303_002725.jpg

Thanks again!
    E: quick thought, if I use the trim, I'd fill in behind it with sealant as well as doing it's edges, right?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  14. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Yes, you would fill the gap first. You could actually fill the gap with something more suitable for gap filling, like Tec7 or similar and allow it to harden for a day before fitting the quadrant trim using silicone. I use ‘Forever White’ silicone.
    Cut the quadrant mitres and lengths and dry fit it to be sure it is correct.
    When fitting it, don’t just shove it tight into position, but gently push all pieces of quadrant into position and concentrate on aligning the joints exactly. The Fugi kits for working & removing excess silicone are handy if you have one

• Like Like x 1
  15. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Just redone two showers in the same house, both leaking.
    That starter strip is truly crap.

I cut out the strip. Cleaned it all up behind. Fill the gap with clear silicone. Then use a upvc strip 28mm wide (it's what they use around windows on the inside) and then white silicone.

• Like Like x 2