Search the forum,

Discuss Scrap Price for Copper? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AndrewLincs

Hi All

I have accumulated several old copper hot water cylinders, old copper pipe, assorted brass fittings and some old taps.

Is it worth me taking a trip to the local scrap metal yard? What should I expect to get for a standard sized copper cylinder?

Regards

Andrew

prices change from day to day don't forget you need a waste licence to transport it

The last time i took a cylinder and a good bundle of old pipe I got £120, definately worth weighing it in.

Sounds promising ... but what is this about a waste license?

Regards

Andrew
my argument is its not waste its matierials we are reclaiming it
to get the best price on scrap its worth cleaning it properly and bagging seperately copper must be just copper take of any joints and fittings if we have a lot to do we use the angle grinder to clean it
braziery is copper with solder on so take any brass fittings of the cylinders brass is obviously just brass but they wont quibble if it has bits of copper stil attached this is all your valves mixers compression fittings
if you take it in as it is they will wiegh it all as mixed metal and give you a crapp price
a clean cylinder ie without the imersion or any brass fittings will fetch about 20 quid last time i went in though could be less or more on the day
you dont have to remove the lagging from cylinders but they might knock of if there heavily furred internally

just thought im not sure you need a waste licence as your actually selling the stuff rather than disposing of it ive never been asked for a waste licence at the scrappy i go to

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

And thanks for the tips.

I'll spend some time over the weekend and get it all sorted and bagged up.

I can understand the need for a permit if its some sort of toxic waste, but it seems daft if your taking an inert metal to a proper scrap dealer.

Regards

Andrew

Environment Agency officers and police have been cracking down on the illegal unregistered transport of waste in Essex, with 36% of vehicles checked found to be breaking the law.

In England and Wales, all companies or individuals transporting waste in the course of their business or in any other way for profit need to register with the Environment Agency. Over the four days between 18 and 21 July, in the Braintree and Uttlesford Districts of Essex, 110 vehicles carrying waste were checked, and of those, 40 were not registered for such a cargo. Such a high number of people breaking the law is causing concern at the Environment Agency.

Waste which requires its carrier to be registered is any kind of household, commercial or industrial waste, and includes unwanted or surplus substances, building or demolition waste and anything which is disposed of as broken, worn out, contaminated, or spoiled in some other way, whether or not it is hazardous or toxic. Currently, waste from farms, mines and quarries are exempt, but for some this is expected to change in due course. Registration costs £126 for the first three years, and then £78 for a further three years, and waste brokers who are already registered have to pay £30. The penalty for not registering is a fine of up to £5000.

Householders carrying their own waste are exempt, as are charities or voluntary organisations, and those transporting only waste that they have produced, except building and demolition waste. Charities and voluntary organisations transporting waste need to be registered with the Environment Agency, but this is free. However, if a carrier is still in doubt as to whether they need to register, the Environment Agency has a simple message: “If you’re not sure, ask,” a spokesperson told edie.

Sometimes I think they make these laws up just so they can fine you for breaking them.

Well I'm not paying for a permit, I don't generate enough waste to make it worth while.

So I'll just stick it in my old camping trailer, tow it up with my car, and dispose of it as household waste.

Regards

Andrew

Last time i took copper to be weighed in was just before xmas and i had a total of 29KG of nothing but copper and how much did i get ..... a measley £16!!!!

the time before that i had 2 big rubble bags full of copper (probably weighed about 20Kg) and got £140 work that one out. lol although it was at a different scrap dealer but what a difference in price.

definetly ring around your local dealers, and get the best price.
as said above, make sure everything is seperated.
if you save it up and take in over 100kgs you should get a better price.

the biggy.
all scrap prices have died. last year for over 100kgs i was on 3.60 a kilo, now im being offered 1.20
the price will go up again, like the house prices, eventually could take a couple of years.
In the meantime i am stock piling, and wont sell it till the price is right!! if that means waiting 2 years so be it. im greedy, and have the space.
be just my luck some jippo will see it a week before i sell and steal the lot. allready praying my dog will nip his bum.

you get the jist.
shaun

Thanks everybody.

I have just spent a pleasant couple of hours sorting and cutting.

I now have about a quarter of a rubble sack of clean copper, three sacks of painty, soldered, grotty copper and best part of a sack of brass fittings and old taps.

Plus 4 cylinders, spoke to local scrap yard and they pay a fixed price for the 36 x 18 cylinders of £25.00. I have two of those and two bigger ones.

Like you I have been saving it up, but my wife is a child minder and is due an OFSTED visit, so I have been put under orders to tidy up my old carp.

So I'm off to the scrappy Monday and should come home with a reasonable wad!

I didn't think to ask them, but I have a couple of old steel rads as well, are they worth taking?

Regards

Andrew

rads are not worth much (cast bath is worth about £6) so you may get £1 or 2 for the rads

everything is worth weighing in, so long as its cleaned and seperated. i keep finding old circulating pumps in plant rooms, 1 weighed 60kgs got enuf for two pints. if we had spent an hour seperating coil, stainless and cast, might of have got four!

shaun

Thanks everybody.

I have just spent a pleasant couple of hours sorting and cutting.

I now have about a quarter of a rubble sack of clean copper, three sacks of painty, soldered, grotty copper and best part of a sack of brass fittings and old taps.

Plus 4 cylinders, spoke to local scrap yard and they pay a fixed price for the 36 x 18 cylinders of £25.00. I have two of those and two bigger ones.

Like you I have been saving it up, but my wife is a child minder and is due an OFSTED visit, so I have been put under orders to tidy up my old carp.

So I'm off to the scrappy Monday and should come home with a reasonable wad!

I didn't think to ask them, but I have a couple of old steel rads as well, are they worth taking?

Regards

Andrew
if youve got a quarter sack of good and three sack of of cuts youve not cleaned it well but youll learn lol

copper only making 70 euro a hundred weight. last year it was 200euro a hundred weight.felt raped the other day when i sold a batch.5 copper cylinders,3 full packed coal sacks ---- 120euro......:mad: sad

The easy way to avoid paying for a waste licence is to get the scrap merchant to come to you. Most scappies around my area will come and pick it up from your house free of charge. Ask the next time you go or give them a call.

the last lot i took in got £360 not bad for some old scrap but only got that coz i spent time cutting and sorting it all out propperly
i have hurd tho its hardly worth taking it in at the min as china's not buying much metal at the moment. if your got room hang on to it for a long while. if not give it to me and i will take it for you lol.

whats this about a waste licence never hurd about that

everything jay, if you have time to dismount and remove the washers, you will be paid best brass prices!!

Prices are creeping back up. Up £2,200 for heavy copper down our way.

Mike

scrappy will try to rip you off if he thinks you dont know the current prices, best advice ring and get your price before you set off, and weigh your own stuff because they dont seem to be very good with numbers on weighing scales.

Last time i took copper to be weighed in was just before xmas and i had a total of 29KG of nothing but copper and how much did i get ..... a measley £16!!!!

the time before that i had 2 big rubble bags full of copper (probably weighed about 20Kg) and got £140 work that one out. lol although it was at a different scrap dealer but what a difference in price.

You got ripped off mate

You don't need a licence to weigh scrap copper in, apart from a driving licence that is to get there that is. Make sure you sort it out first. Cut all your fitting out off the pipework and bag separably. This will be classed as brazerey (pardon the spelling). Next put all your pieces of copper with the fittings removed in a second bag, this is clean copper. If you have any brass fittings or taps ect, bag this in a third as this is classed as brass. As for your cylinder spend a bit of time on it and strip the connections out of it, remove coil (if has one). This way the cylinder is now classed as clean and you get more for it. Step four take it all down to your local scrappy. Ask about and see who pays the best, other plumbers normally know. Step five don't tell the misses how much you got, go down to the local boozer and enjoy.

You were completely ripped of then and you should call round before you go to check the price. Last december I coined in £700 for for 175 kilos £4 a kilo you'll get a fiver a kilo now for clean copper if you go to the right place.

regarding waste carriers licence refer to your local authority website. round here (bolton) waste carriers licence is required for anything taken to the tip. so you can forget about turning up in a signwritten van expecting to dump mrs smiths old bathroom suite.

but as far as i can interpret the red tape ,scrap metal doesn't count if it is not handled by the local authority. it is simply another private business transaction for which you should declare to the tax man.

currently 2 quid a kg for brass and 4 quid for brazery copper or thereabouts.

i remove my valves but i'm noit fussy about taking nuts off the pipe, it adds to the weight and the copper is better priced. my scrappy doesnt bother checking what i haul in in sacks ;0)

KJ

just done a run down to scrappy.
one qouted me 80p a kilo (stainless) £4.00 a kilo clean copper
took it to my normal on £1.50 a kilo, and £5.00
shop around is always best

You don't need a licence to weigh scrap copper in, apart from a driving licence that is to get there that is. Make sure you sort it out first. Cut all your fitting out off the pipework and bag separably. This will be classed as brazerey (pardon the spelling). Next put all your pieces of copper with the fittings removed in a second bag, this is clean copper. If you have any brass fittings or taps ect, bag this in a third as this is classed as brass. As for your cylinder spend a bit of time on it and strip the connections out of it, remove coil (if has one). This way the cylinder is now classed as clean and you get more for it. Step four take it all down to your local scrappy. Ask about and see who pays the best, other plumbers normally know. Step five don't tell the misses how much you got, go down to the local boozer and enjoy.
The time it takes to mess about sorting scrap could be spent working and earning a decent wage so you don`t have to bother

used to be a headache gettin rid of old rads and boilers . not now , leave them outside the job for half an hour these days and they re off.

have you ever seen a pikey trying to remove a set of taps from a stainless steel sink top ? heard loud banging coming from outside a job , went to the window, there he was with his pick up at the side of the skip , battering the living daylights out of the sink top with a claw hammer , not sure what he was trying to do really. you would have had to see it to believe it.

£2 kg brass , £4.25 copper here .

I have a load of metal too and I was thinking of letting the rag and bone types just "take it"

But I will now bung it in the van and take it to the scrappy.

Dsc_0448SMALL.jpg

I have a load of metal too and I was thinking of letting the rag and bone types just "take it"

But I will now bung it in the van and take it to the scrappy.

Dsc_0448SMALL.jpg

looking at that lot richard i would stick with your former plan.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367860172.776489.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367860203.747493.jpg

Scrap run planned for tomorrow, get it in the neck when I overspill from the garage

Something wrong with some of the scrappies on here i took mine to emr the other day

2x cylinders £30 each
59kg of brass at 2400 per mt
39kg of copper at 3500 per mt came to total of £338

As for a waste license no thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Scrap Price for Copper? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock