Search the forum,

Discuss Sciencey odd question just occured in my daily musings... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
working on the principle that every action has an equal and opposite re-action is it possible that at one end of this ridiculously long pipe if i insert my finger, it will appear out of the other end of the pipe and poke watertight in the eye for opening this can of worms?????

yep thats right steve, well spotted.

1x1x1 does not equal 1000, 10x10x10 on the other hand...............

A litre is 1cm3 of water.[/QUOTE

i think it is actually 10cm3 not 1cm3

I thought it was just a typo. But it's something every plumber should know about; relative density. Again, this is at atmospheric pressures. If you move the goal posts all sorts can happen. It's how the Triple State of Water exists at the same time. Solid-liquid-gaseous.

@Kay-jay. About Newton's Laws. Action/reaction etc... Did you know that know this has been turned on its head. It has something to do with the race for finding absolute zero-0 degrees Kelvin and reactions found in those experiments. And in turn it's creating havoc with all kinds of accepted philosphies from Decarte to Aristotle. It's fascinating stuff.

They call them gas laws Boyles, Dalton , Charles etc. but just has be stated a substance can exist as a solid, liquid. vapour or all 3 even plasma.
The good thing about physics is it is they same every time unlike Mrs Smiths cetral heating problem that occured since you fitted thier outside tap

now they reckon that nothing is in actual fact a solid, it is just made up of densely packed atoms which makes it seem like it is a solid but in actual fact things can pass through it like other atoms.

Most scientific "Facts" are not actual facts, they are theories, as we evolve we learn more and previous "facts" no longer become facts as they have been proven wrong. Most theories contradict each other aswell so they can not all be laws of physics.

Last edited:
View attachment 3464

This is a sketch of the hydraulic gradient rig as I remember it! The difference in head seen at each vertical is caused by the friction loss due to flow in the pipe. This rig demonstrates it in a really practical way .. of course there are many formulae and methods to calculate theoretical friction losses in pipework systems but seeing is believing!!

interesting stuff, so if the istern was 10m high ie 1bar pressure, regardless of the length of pipe water would come out, just that te pressure will be minmal once the friction losses have decreased with the reduction in velocity?

so at some point the final pipe would show same pressure

Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sciencey odd question just occured in my daily musings... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock