Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Salus iT500 Internet Thermostat - Wlliams & Co. in the Product Reviews area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. TBServices

TBServices Guest

Salus iT500 Internet thermostat.

Utilized my day off work today fitting the iT500 after servicing my boiler for the first time since i bought the house 3 years ago. I know, i'm ashamed.

Anyway, onto the stat.

It's been installed to work with a WB 35CDi, replacing a Honeywell mechanical stat that has ALWAYS been in the wrong place (bottom floor hallway in a 3 story house, on the internal garage wall. Coldest room in the house by far). I positioned the receiver in the same place as the existing stat, and modified the wiring at the boiler to give me permanent live, neutral and SL. Wiring was dead easy although i have 2 complaints about the receiver:

1. To wire in the manner i have, requires a link wire from L to COM, but the connector blocks are realistically a bit too small to accept 2 wires that aren't of the flexible variety.
    2. The receiver only accepts wires fed through from one position, almost at the bottom, so if like me, you had 3+E coming though the plaster at the top of the existing stat with fairly short wires, you will have to extend the wires to get them in. A small pain in the bum but not the end of the world.

The Router "Gateway" was plug and play. Ethernet and mains power plugged in and it sprang into perfect working order. All cables supplied which is good.

The Wireless stat itself feels like a much better quality affair than the other Salus tat I've seen. Good quality plastic and a nice LCD touch pad. Again, installed the batteries, followed the syncing instructions to pair with the receiver and it worked straight away. Easy peasy.

Now you have to go online, register an account and the serial number of your device, then confirm your email address with a link. Then you can download the smartphone App and enter your registration details in there. Once i had done all that, it worked flawlessly. In less than a second, i had a wireless stat, an internet Tab, and a phone screen all showing me the temp, design temp, program and boiler status etc etc. When i changed a parameter on one device, the others visibly updated. So far so good! Very impressed.

Its now 8.13pm. My stat is telling my phone that the living room temperature is 23 degrees and the boiler is off. Yesterday my heating would have been on, and id have been sat on the sofa sweating my balls off because my room stat was in the wrong place and 15 degrees downstairs equates to 25 upstairs. I'm expecting this thing to save me a bucket in gas.

Complaints. While i cant really fault the quality, operation or ease of installation, i have a couple of gripes, which i would appreciate the rep seeing.

1. The instruction manual for programming the stat leaves a lot to be desired, there's a whole load of pictures but no text. Oh well, you'd expect there to be some better instructions on the web app? Wrong. It would be nice if there was some technical help for programming the stat online. Perhaps in the form of pop-ups when you hold the mouse over an icon/right click.

2. There's a function called Energysave. The official line is "energysave will use the lowest set temperature on your daily schedule". What the f does that even mean? It wouldn't make sense to 100% of my customers. Turns out its an OVERRIDE function, so if you're gonna be late home from work or whatever, you can press the button and it will keep the heating at your lowest set temp until you switch back to auto, in my case 10 degrees.

3. Lack of features. I find this majorly annoying with many stats - there's no manual override/constant, without pressing the up key, half a degree at a time until you get to your desired temperature. There's no option to change the parameters to go up in 1's instead of .5's of a degree, and there's no advance button. There's also no COPY DAY option to copy your programs over to the next day. Seriously no excuse for leaving these functions out. I'm hoping that since the stat is internet based, we may get an updated app/firmware to include them.

4. The app and the web app are seriously basic. I would've thought that a bit more thought and a lot more features would have gone into it considering the possibilities. Unfortunately Salus have limited this stat to having the same basic functions as their ordinary ones, and that is a shame, as its one of the main reasons i don't fit them for my customers.

If anything else springs to mind or rears its head in the future, ill be sure to report back.

All in all, i'm fairly impressed. Especially with the leap in quality over other salus products and how easy it was to fit and get working, considering they're the first mainstream manufacturer to internet enable a stat, make it widely available and affordable. However, i wont be recommending them to my customers until there are a few more features. They've made a step into the future of home automation, with a product that somehow feels a lot more dated than a CM927 or a MiStat.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of buying one.

P.S. Thanks to Ray and Williams, for the freebie and the Wine Gums, they went down a treat at the cinema last night.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Hirstgas

Hirstgas GSR

Im gunna get one of these for my new house. Will it control two heating zones?

3. Ray Stafford

Ray Stafford Guest

Tom, thanks for such a detailed, thoughtful and balanced review.

Journalism's loss is plumbing's gain.

I can't promise that the rep will read it, but you can be damn sure that the MD of Salus UK will, since he was keen to get this product out on review.

4. TBServices

TBServices Guest

Yeah mate it will do 2 CH zones or CH and HW.

No problem Ray, glad to be of help and glad to be back in the running for more freebies :D

5. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Bad start with the it500. Thought i would prepare by installing the app on my phone. Cant install the app for some reason. Gives me an error and kicks me out. Doesnt even point me in a direction for a fix. Not the greatest of beginnings.

6. TBServices

TBServices Guest

Oh dear

7. Ray Stafford

Ray Stafford Guest

I wonder if this from Tom's review gives a clue?

Would you like me to get Salus tech to give you a call Simon?

Ray

8. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Cheers Ray. Ill try the correct way round first :)

9. TBServices

TBServices Guest

No you should still be able to download the app regardless. iOS or android simon?

10. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

It was android Tom.

Well, just spent half an hour with the it500 and it's all up and running.

For one it definitely looks the part. Can't say much about the switch box on the wall except the terminal connections are small and it makes a very high pitch buzz. The internet bit is smart and easy to set up. The little remote is good looking, well I like it, and I like the fact that it can be wall mounted or a little stand on the back for standing up where you want. They can drop the little spirit level in the wall mounting plate though as it's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Installation wise it was nice and straight forward, a few more words in the instructions wouldn't go amiss but plenty of pictures. Plenty of info for different configurations. Mines simple, combi boiler and heating on and off. Again a criticism of the terminal connections. Had to link the common to live but the terminals are tiny.

Registration on the web site nice and straight forward and once registered the app downloaded a treat :)

For using the beast it does what it says on the tin. But I do like the fact that you can set your times and dates on the laptop, nice big screen to see what you are doing rather than fiddling about pushing multiple buttons.

The unit replaced a salus programmable room stat.

For ongoing use time will tell, but will be adding it to the list of optional extras.

Thanks to Ray and Williams.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Hi Simon

does this unit allow the user to turn on either hot water or ch via the Internet??

12. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Mines just a combi, but there did seem to be the function. Also multiple zones with an extra stat.

13. TBServices

TBServices Guest

Yes it does.

14. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Cheers appreciated

15. Roger Welton

Roger Welton Plumber GSR

2 zones max i believe, either 2 x heating or heating and hw.

To get the second zone you need a ti300 thingy