Search the forum,

Discuss safe electrical isolation check before servicing a boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
After completing my plumbing NVQ I am now completing my gas portfolio after just spending a week placement with British Gas. Part of the boiler service is to complete a Dynamic Assessment Checklist and so first perform a safe electrical isolation check. Now this involves 2 tasks: 1st using an electric pen voltage tester over the boiler and 2nd using a socket and see device.
Where I get confused is does the pen tester to check earth continuity and the socket and see device to check the resistance polarity or the way around?
I am a newbie in the trade and need some clarification also as to what both tests differs from each other?
I thank in advance anyone who will offer its support.
Really appreciated guys!!
Thank you!!!

I assume you mean by pen tester is what is commonly known as a neon tester.
A device where you put it on an appliance and put a finger on the end.
You become the earth and if it lights up the item you are touching is live.
Make sure you test on a point that is not painted - eg screw through casing

A socket tester, I assume you mean a voltage tester, which will also check continuity & polarity.
Usually a device that has two probes, one connected to a deice that lights up with voltage and the other connected to this by a lead.

The first device is a simple test to see if the appliance and casing are live.
The second for testing individual components for voltage, continuity & polarity.

Hope this helps

I assume you mean by pen tester is what is commonly known as a neon tester.
A device where you put it on an appliance and put a finger on the end.
You become the earth and if it lights up the item you are touching is live.
Make sure you test on a point that is not painted - eg screw through casing

A socket tester, I assume you mean a voltage tester, which will also check continuity & polarity.
Usually a device that has two probes, one connected to a deice that lights up with voltage and the other connected to this by a lead.

The first device is a simple test to see if the appliance and casing are live.
The second for testing individual components for voltage, continuity & polarity.

Hope this helps

not that type of pen oz

one of these

85949_P

and no just checks if the case is live etc (like putting the pen on a plug )

and the socket tester checks the wires are the right way round and earth is going to earth (the case is earthed ) but you wont check this with a fused connection unit with a plug type

I use one of these

Fluke T150 Voltage/Continuity Tester | Genuine UK Model

The volt stick is just to check the case before you carry out any work.

This is an example why.

20150211_141218.jpg

Basic checks are

L-N, L-E, N-E.

A live circuit.
L-E 240v
L-N 240v
N-E 0v

A live circuit with reversed polarity.
L-E 0v
L-N 240v
N-E 240v

A dead circuit
L-E 0v
L-N 0v
N-E 0v

There's a couple of other permutations but all in good time, these will do for now.

Always remember to check your tester against a known live source before and after testing unless you have a calibrated proving unit as Snowy said above.

Definitely use a multi meter and don't rely on voltage pens. Those voltage pens also pick up stray voltage as little as 40v so they'll make u think something is live when it really isn't

Why not use a multimeter? It will do all those tests and more.

because you have to open the fused spur when its powered, and bg dont allow that unless your trained

From what I remember of my last dealings with BG Socket and see items are the preferred electrical test equipment that BG use, When I was thinking about contracting to them again, They wanted us to Buy PF machine & Socket & See test equipment costing around 1G, and we had to test the property before we started any install, any problems, not to start job until there sparks had been to job, Lot of guys on induction were saying these tests should be done B4 fitters went to job as part of sales pre-checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to safe electrical isolation check before servicing a boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock