Search the forum,

Discuss S plan heating layout questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jenkins

Hello All,

I recently brought a house that unfortunately turns out was a bit of a plumbing mess, The three port valve has failed and the heating did not work in part of the house. I am in the process of tidying up the plumbing in the airing cupboard and changing from a three port valve system to an S plan.

I have come up with the following layout, the brown square is the existing deairator (That is what I think it is)
Proposed layout.PNG

I plan to put all the pipe work here:

Location of layout.PNG

I have a couple of questions to make sure I do it correctly, there are images below to help with the questions
  1. I would like to fit a mag filter but access to there return difficult and space around the boiler is limited as it is very close to ceiling downstairs. Can I just put it before the pump or is there somewhere better?
  2. The brown cylinder item I think is a deairator, can I replace it with something different/better or best to keep it as it is?
  3. Can I put the automatic pressure relief valve between just after the pump and onto the coil return or does it have to be after the cylinder connection on the return and before the boiler? Trying to run another pipe out of the airing cupboard may be tricking without chiseling more joist out, do building regulations allow that?
  4. Eventually I want to pay someone to convert to a sealed system and fit an expansion vessel where would they locate that in this pipe work? I want to leave space for them to connect it up.
  5. Are there any other changes you would make to the layout to protect for future?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Return from cylinder.PNG
Reurn to boiler.PNG

My advice is get a good local installer in to sort this for you, your attention to detail is a very good but is not something we can work with nothing beats seeing the job you will need a site vist, what you are asking is totally realistic and a good installer can do this for you

Thank you for replying, unfortunately I can't afford to pay someone having just brought the house.

I have managed to work out I can fit the pressure relief pipe out in an existing gap so will be able to route it to the correct point on the return. I have also been looking looking at magnetic filters and it seams that most can go before/after the pump although it is the manufactures second choice.

Why is there a 3 port valve but nothing connected to one of the ports? Surely that should have been a 2 port? I also think he means A.A.V maybe?

image.png

Do you mean the bypass ?

Why is there a 3 port valve but nothing connected to one of the ports? Surely that should have been a 2 port? I also think he means A.A.V maybe?

View attachment 29539

Sorry not quite got the terminology down in question three I did mean the bypass in question 3.

As for the three port valve its stuck open to port A and port B, I have taken part of the existing system apart already. The system is currently drained and isolated. There was a spaghetti of pipework taking up lots of space including a electrically disconnected, mechanically stuck shut 2 port valve.

Thanks everyone for their input

there must be another valve, how does this work? picture not very clear. Mid position going one direction? :confused: It needs a site visit.

there must be another valve, how does this work? picture not very clear. Mid position going one direction? :confused: It needs a site visit.
Sorry for the not very clear picture I forgot to take a better one. There was a pipe which I removed coming out the now empty port and eventually going under the floor feeding the radiators. I will connect back to the pipe under the floor once I finish my s-plan layout. I forgot to take a picture before I took it apart.

Don't see point of changing system, just fit new 3-port valve and leave the rest alone. Looks to have been a good install originally. Can fit magnaclean anywhere accessible, will do some good wherever it is.

Further thought, why the extra 2-port? was it zoned? and why do you want automatic pressure relief valve, if it is an open vented system?

Further thought, why the extra 2-port? was it zoned? and why do you want automatic pressure relief valve, if it is an open vented system?

Yeah that was zoned but is no longer zoned, although the valve is the only thing that indicates its zoned. There is no thermostat for the second zone, I will just be using trvs.

I ment a bypass valve as I had read that you need one on an s plan system as the trvs shut down to maintain the flow through the boiler

in an ideal world; but is all the work going to make enough difference to be justified? traditionally used to leave one radiator, often the bathroom, without TRV. just set it up to get correct temperature difference between flow and return. Presume one day it will end up being a combi system anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to S plan heating layout questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
I am having a new system boiler to replace very old cast iron open vented jobbie. heating engineer has offered an S plan system and a Main eco compact. My understanding is that S plan will return water at too high a temperature for boiler to run efficiently and stops weather compensation.
Replies
Views
Podengo
P
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
Hello. I've just replaced our old Potterton EP2 CH controller with a Drayton Wiser HubR (& peripherals). The old backing plate wasn't compatible with the new universal one, but the wiring was pretty close AFAICT (N, L, 1, 3 & 4 connected) .When I first powered it up but didn't have any TRVs...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few threads on a few different forums but I wanted to share a full write-up with all the steps needed, benefits and costs. Overall, I fully recommend...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I noticed some minor pumping over from the vent (occasional burst of water, and the odd dribble). Didn’t think much of it as I was about to replace the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock