Search the forum,

Discuss Ryobi power tool kit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dan22

HI EVERYONE I POSTED A THREAD ABOUT STARTER TOOLS ETC. BUT SINCE THEN I HAVE FOUND THIS KIT. DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS OR KNOW IF ITS ANY GOOD TO GET ME STARTED??

CLK124
12 V / 4 Piece Kit

• 2x 12v (1.2Ah) Lithium-Ion batteries
  • Lithium-Ion charger 45 minute charge time
  • 12v Drill Driver (LSD1201PB)
  • 12v Reciprocating Saw (CR1201)
  • 12v Circular Saw (CS1201)
  • 12v Torch (CKF120LM)
  • No memory effect: The battery can always be loaded regardless of charge level, the cells damaged
clk124_xl.jpg

had ryobi years ago, battery's went quick but seemed ok ish budget kit dont know how good they are now

had ryobi years ago, battery's went quick but seemed ok ish budget kit dont know how good they are now

hi gas man, im new to it all really and dont know what to buy im looking for a kit that sort of has it all but int lots of pennys either hee! Hee! I know this will be hard but any tips on what makes to look out for etc or were i could get a good deal

thanks

i used the older 'blue' ryobi, apparentley they have good gears in them but my batteries have gone.
i have now gone to dewalt xrp 14v as they have plenty of power, the battery is easy replacement and cost a lot less than the 18v so dont break the bank.

the erbaur from screw fix is a very good unsung piece of kit for the money with german engeneeing, make sure you get extra battery though and go for the highest amphr you can afford.

they sell this ryobi kit in my local cash n carry for about £100, but to be honest save your £££ and just buy the best combi-drill with spare batteries for the money.
then get a £15 jigsaw, and a £5 torch that will do an equall job as the rest of the kit dont matter.

When you have a limited budget have a good think about what you really need and what you will use them for before spending your cash. Don't be drawn with the advertising. See if you can have a go with a few before you decide.
Look for some good local tool shops, or independant hire shops, there will be some near you and go in for a look and ask for a demonstration.
BandQ warehouses usually have some guy hanging around giving demonstrations with some power tools drilling holes into a bit breeze. Get him to get a 10 newton block or a decent facing brick and try it in that.

Ryobi stuff is mainly aimed at the DIY light trade use. They have plastic gears inside which will strip if you push them too hard and the chuck is also plastic.
What might be good for a guy who drills the odd hole or puts up a shelf now and again is absolutely no use to a professional who will put it through more use (abuse) in a day than your diyer will in a year.
Out of the stuff in the above kit you would find you mainly use the cordless and the torch. 12v is fine for a screwdriver, nice and light to handle but if you try drilling anything more than a 6mm hole it will struggle. Then what happens is you will push it beyond its limits and it is in the bin before the end of the day.
The snorter doesn't have the power or the capacity for much more than cutting a few floorboards and i've never used a cordless recip so i can't really comment but its performance won't be too great.

Depends what you plan to use them for. If you think you will use them (all) and not push them too much, they might be ok. If not save your money for better quality stuff.
I can guarantee after a week or so i would be left with an expensive torch.:)

Cordless tools are handy and are very useful but even the expensive 36volt ones can't match corded stuff.

Hi tamz

i will be a plumber and gas engineer so will be needing tools for this line of work whats the best power tools to use ?

Thanks

Someone elses and keep yours nice and shiny:p

The best ones are expensive but you need to think what you want to or think you may use them for. The main thing you will use is a cordless drill.

There is a lot of decent priced stuff around but stick to better known brands. Makita, Bosch, AEG/Milwalkee, Dewalt etc. The cheaper stuff is cheap for a reason.
Try to get something with metal gearing and a metal chuck on it.
Higher amp/hr batteries mean more torque (power).
Don't be fooled by the hype over Li ion batteries. They are much more expensive, not much better and sometimes worse. Ni Cad are fine to begin with. Go for a higher amp NiCad battery rather than a less powerful Li ion and you will get a better tool for the money.
Lower voltage drill drivers (combo drills) 12 or 14v are fine for everyday use. They are light and easy to handle, have more than enough power to drive any screws you will ever use and will drill 6 and 7mm holes for rawlplugs no problem and will drill through wood whatever size you need (if you are drilling a lot use a corded and don't try to drill with 117mm holesaws on a cordless).
The heavier 18v drill drivers are too heavy to handle for doing a lot of screwdriving and their extra drilling capacity is not really worth the extra money when you can't afford it.

You won't use a circular saw too much unless you do heating installs and then a cordless one is like a chocolate ashtray. Useless.

A cheap jigsaw (corded) will do you for a while.
Get a cheap SDS corded drill. It will have more power than a 24v cordless.

Look for tool shows and demo days and ask at your local tool shops. Don't be shy to ask for a demo. They will do it no problem.

Look up more like this
DEWALT Events | Local and National Events

You will probably end up spending many 1000's on tools over the years but starting off is hard.
Happy hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a 18v makita kit last month, everything has been fantastic and well up to the job. The circular saw easily copes with what I use it for, taking up floor boards, the angle grinder cuts deep enough chases, the drill driver is as youd expect and the sds is doing just fine, especially as ive started coring holes for blow off and condensate pipes. :) probably a bit expesive for a plumber but i dont buy myself any other treats and theyve come in handy as i work on my own.

cordless jigsaw is a bit much, but when i use it, one day, im sure it will be woth the £80 ???? /-:

I bought a 18v makita kit last month, everything has been fantastic and well up to the job. The circular saw easily copes with what I use it for, taking up floor boards, the angle grinder cuts deep enough chases, the drill driver is as youd expect and the sds is doing just fine, especially as ive started coring holes for blow off and condensate pipes. :) probably a bit expesive for a plumber but i dont buy myself any other treats and theyve come in handy as i work on my own.

cordless jigsaw is a bit much, but when i use it, one day, im sure it will be woth the £80 ???? /-:

Hi there thanks for reply but how much was your set and were from?

thanks

dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ryobi power tool kit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock