Search the forum,

Discuss Rusting solar expansion vessel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kev the gas

Hi all,

I popped into see a job today with a problematic solar system.

12 evacuated tubes

Twin coil cylinder in the loft, along with pump station and expansion vessel.

System not circulating but pump running, I checked the expansion vessel and saw it was badly corroded and leaking Goooo!!

Pressure gauge reading 2 bar but I think it is stuck, the sight glass for flow rate was mucky.

Obviously the leak has caused air in the system which is only 3 years old, the expansion vessel has already been replaced because it was leaking.

I presume the system was not cleaned out before final commissioning and the flux is now corroding the system ??

from my course @ Worcester 2 years ago I'm sure they said a there is a minimum head for Evacuated Tubes??

Can anyone confirm?? or dismiss my theory:2guns:

The customer is 85 years old and a little fed up after spending £7000 3 years ago.

The system was installed by So Solar of Southampton

Kev

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldered joints are a no no so system shouldn't need flushing?

Heat at damage maybe? Or has the wrong type of expansion vessel been fitted or in the wrong orientation?

Thank you for replying Nostrum,

Exactly why I mentioned the soldered joints, I have only fitted 3 systems and have used the flexible coils and compression where I had to.

The expansion vessel is fitted at an angle to the roof joists using straps !!

The expansion vessel is correct for use in Solar installations. ( it says so on the sticker!)

image.jpg
Thx Tamz,

you just woke up my sleepy brain !

Above is a pic of my last install, East/West split with Cooling vessels, from the roof down to the garage not a single joint using the coils, then using compression only at the pump stations.

I think I got a bit too involved with their bad luck story to think properly, I have just had a message from them nd they want it all removed and a new boiler installed.

Kev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rusting solar expansion vessel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, Solar thermal not so big these days but a couple of Q for anyone who still works in it. Background. I'm an Electrician not a plumber.. I've been maintaining my otherwise excellent solar thermal (Original install MCS by Others), for the last ~ 18 years, over which time I've needed to clean...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock