Discuss Running central heating pipe past electrics? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

UK
Hi all

I need to run this CH pipework to a radiator located beyond the electric wiring in the image below.

Just to be safe I was wondering if there are any rules / distances, etc I need to be following when avoiding the wiring?

Many thanks. P

IMG_20240430_081156.jpg

There's some rule - like 25mm or so.

Just move the wiring and clip it as far away from the heating pipes as you can with at least a 25mm space.

You don't want a situation where the heating pipes melt the insulation around the electrical cable.

The rules are more applicable to the rating of the current carrying capacity of the pvc cables. The maximum current rating of a pvc cable is based on the copper conductor attaining a temperature of 70 degrees C. If your water pipe temperature is approaching 70 degrees then there's every likelihood that the cables will fail being in such close proximity. Ideally either the cables or pipes should be moved away from each others sphere of influence. If this cannot be done suggest you fit insulation over the pipework to minimise heat transference, DO NOT repeat DO NOT fit insulation over the cables as this will impair the cables ability to remain cool when carrying rated current.

Reply to Running central heating pipe past electrics? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need to extend my central heating from my newly built extension in to the old part of my house. I need to feed 3 rads in separate bedrooms on...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Guys. This is a question on how to clip central heating pipes (Hep2 15, 22 and 28mm) when running 90 dgrees to metal web joists. How to do it...
Replies
Views
My son has just had a new boiler fitted and hes noticed that the pump runs 24x7 even when both the heating and hot water are set to off. He’s...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock