Search the forum,

Discuss Running a new gas pipe from meter to kitchen advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the Gas Section was closed??! It should be!

I'm sure the gas section is closed. (You all had to give your GS number to get in here right)

Right!! Well I'm an idiot!

Sorry, I'll watch what I put here in future. Thanks chaps.

This what I mean all and sundry can read this and people say so much

15m x 22mm copper will deliver about 3.4m3/hr, which is the equivalent of about 36kw, (just under when you add a couple of bends to the straight run) so you need to add up the input of the appliances as a starting point
PS sorry to say what others will be thinking, inexperience as a newbie is one thing, but the fact you are a newbie means you have only just done this stuff, so something isnt quite right, most newbies seem to have their heads stuck in their books all the time, why arent you
its 3 bends just to get out of the box (i can never seee why the outlet is on the top of a meter) and minimum of 2 under the boiler and there is no such thing as a straight run 15m from meter direct to boiler so its probably going to be closer to a 20 meter equivalent length

Last edited:
I think all gsr engineers should boycott this section . To much info is given out to diyers , advise could lead to a disaster .We should tell any body asking for info on installing repairing or altering gas appliances to call a engineer instead of giving out free advice .

'
PS sorry to say what others will be thinking, inexperience as a newbie is one thing, but the fact you are a newbie means you have only just done this stuff, so something isnt quite right, most newbies seem to have their heads stuck in their books all the time, why arent you'

kirkgas (and others); I can answer this.
I did the assessments at the end of Feb, but it took me until the end of last month to get the ÂŁ438 to seal my registration. I've been in dire financial straits for a while now due to some other personal circumstances (not looking for sympathy) and I used the training centre's manuals and gas regs to get through the exams while I was there - and looking stuff up online before.
Yeah, I can see I need to up my game and get stuck into some serious revision. If any of the mods want to contact me privately then I'll happily verify my GS number.

'
PS sorry to say what others will be thinking, inexperience as a newbie is one thing, but the fact you are a newbie means you have only just done this stuff, so something isnt quite right, most newbies seem to have their heads stuck in their books all the time, why arent you'

I did the assessments at the end of Feb, but it took me until the end of last month to get the ÂŁ438 to seal my registration. I've been in dire financial straits for a while now due to some other personal circumstances (not looking for sympathy) and I used the training centre's manuals and gas regs to get through the exams while I was there - and looking stuff up online before.
Yeah, I can see I need to up my game and get stuck into some serious revision. If any of the mods want to contact me privately then I'll happily verify my GS number.

you can join the gas safe only forum. check out the sticky post in this forum.

'

fair play, but you must have been given notes when doing the training, what certification body was the training place? bpec/niciec/logic etcetc

NICIEC five day course.
Yes, got some notes and printouts and stuff. Just need to get those manuals on board so it's there in black and white.
Had some good advice on the Corgi and Viper books. Just need to make up my mind which one to go for. I see that Viper are still selling the 'Spring' edition. Maybe it's worth waiting for the Summer one if it's imminent.

I see that Viper are still selling the 'Spring' edition. Maybe it's worth waiting for the Summer one if it's imminent.

These books are not like magazines. You don't get seasonal editions.
Spend your money and buy a set. Viper, Corgi or others. It may seem expensive but it may be the best 100 you ever spend

can you realy qualify as a competent trades man and join corgi after a five day course please tell me its not true

I often wonder if we are not getting a bit paranoid about giving away advice?
Anybody Googling virtually any of the questions asked on the forum can find in depth information on many web sites that would enable them to do virtually any kind of gas/plumbing/heating job. We look a load of old silly duffers wanting to keep secrets to ourselves, that anybody can find the answers to themselves if they want. So refusing to help people is giving out a bad image on what is ostensibly a help forum.
A bit like a green grocer not telling you if the fruit on sale is bad or not in case you do not buy it. Come on guys what would you have done if somebody had not told you about the game? Tell them but warn them about regulations and DIY efforts is the name of the game.

I disagree with you Bernie, I think we should discourage it, we learned because we were apprentices and served 4 years learning and being assessed. It scares me to think someone like my old man could come on here - and learn how to move a gas pipe, change a gas valve etc. I think if we discourage it and other forums follow suit it will drill in more to joe public NOT to touch gas.

NICIEC five day course.

the gas NVQ that I did was 2 years, 1 day a week for I think 34 weeks each year.
at the same time building up the portfolio. (That was after doing a 2 year plumbing course)

....:rolleyes2:.... what are you actually qualified for after 5 days?

the gas NVQ that I did was 2 years, 1 day a week for I think 34 weeks each year.
at the same time building up the portfolio. (That was after doing a 2 year plumbing course)

....:rolleyes2:.... what are you actually qualified for after 5 days?

It seems that getting gas safe qualified is more about how much money you're willing to give the training centre and less about how much you actually know about gas work.

This is scary and needs to be addressed.

Kirk will know the answer to this

Is the engineers name not tied in with the training centre for the first few years?

I think this collective bottom lip quivering is down to a misunderstanding.
My domestic assessments exams was over five days, not my entire gas training. I passed every one of the papers and practical assignments but have not revised since Feb.
I did a full trade apprenticeship and qualified to C&G Advanced Craft over 20 years ago, and was Corgi-registered in the 90s.
I spent a period of time out of the trade until recently, and have been inching my way back in since last year. I am now GS-registered but am still getting to grips with all the new legislation.
I appreciate the constructive advice some of you have offered, but can the rest of you headshakers stick your dummies back in? Yeah? 'Triffic!

You are maybe legit choco, but many arnt and that is why you are hearing from a lot of unhappy engineers

even in the 80s and 90s we were pipe sizing and you must have covered it in the recent assesments
yes you can upsize the pipework to deliver more fuel to an appliance gas preasure is lost when the gas touches the walls of the pipework so larger pipes mean less friction and less preasure loss

I think this collective bottom lip quivering is down to a misunderstanding.
My domestic assessments exams was over five days, not my entire gas training. I passed every one of the papers and practical assignments but have not revised since Feb.
I did a full trade apprenticeship and qualified to C&G Advanced Craft over 20 years ago, and was Corgi-registered in the 90s.
I spent a period of time out of the trade until recently, and have been inching my way back in since last year. I am now GS-registered but am still getting to grips with all the new legislation.
I appreciate the constructive advice some of you have offered, but can the rest of you headshakers stick your dummies back in? Yeah? 'Triffic!

it takes time to learn the trade, i can honestly say every time i go back to resit the acs i forget alot of it very quickly for around 5 years anyway ;). I think if you had given alittle more information in a couple of posts you would have got les questioning replys. The good thing is your asking for advise which shows you want to do things right.

the puzzling thing is why you wanted to come back to the trade? you can earn more money with a paint brush..... i bet you longed for the smell of boss white :)

Kirk will know the answer to this

Is the engineers name not tied in with the training centre for the first few years?

technically yes in that if there is an incident by anyone who is gas competant (this will be in doubt as they are being investigated because of an incident) so it is perfectly acceptable for the authorities to examine every avenue of their background which includes their company ethos towards work (ie completing 15 services a day could be seen to be bad management allowing the increased risk of a mistake) or if there is no issue with the company they can look at the assessment process, but TBH in CYA land which is well covered by training and certification bodies it would be very unlikely that a training centre would be blamed for his incompetance as long as they followed the guidelines handed to them by their certification body which has been ratified by HSE, however if mistakes were found in the paperwork meaning he hadnt actually carried out certain tests they could be blamed, which is why i assess you, someone does an Internal verification of the paperwork then it is sent to the cert body where it gets externally verified so there are 3 lines of defence to pick up probs, and one of the reasons i cant print and issue gas certs on the day you pass, they dont care about the delay as its a better safety net for them and you have a 6 month window to come in before your ticket runs out

WARNING..........Not GAS SAFE Reg........
Doing Work Portfolio at the moment,

If you give me the KW of the 2 appliances, AND Distances from meter also,Ts & bends required,
I will work it out for you.......and give you the pressure loss and pipe size to use.

Remember I'am a trainee Gas Engineer.

But I can work it out for you, its no problem, if you still need help to work it out.
and I can post it on here so other Engineers can see if I'am correct.
Just trying to help.

Remember Maximum pressure absorption of 1mbar from gas meter outlet to all appliance inlet connections, assuming the working
pressure at the gas meter outlet is 21mbar this will ensure that the appliances are supplied with their design pressure of 20 mbar.
It must be stressed that this is working pressure NOT standing pressure.
Remember to add 0.5 metre to the length of pipework for EVERY Elbow or T and 0.3 metres for a 90 degree mechanical bend.
Hope this helps,
Paul Wolfe
Remember I'am a trainee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Running a new gas pipe from meter to kitchen advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and screed floor. There is a gas servile pipe under the floor which enters the property below the joists at the front of the house and comes up under the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Does anyone have any feedback as to which is best. Running the pipe from the outdoor gas meter to a new boiler on an outside wall or run the pipe under the floor (suspended timber) which is our existing setup and the new boiler is being sited in same location as old. I ask just in...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
I have a domestic gas meter located at one side of my building and my boiler/cooker (only 2 gas devices) on the other side of the building. There is currently a 28mm gas pipe from meter to the boiler which is approx 25m and a further 5m to the gas cooker. My gas engineer is saying that the...
Replies
Views
My living room smells like a sewer but I can't tell where it is coming from. Not sure where to start looking. The saniflo discharge pipe runs above but there is no sign of leakage on the ceiling. The main drain run from the manhole at the back runs under the kitchen, which has a solid floor...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock