Search the forum,

Discuss Rothenberger eco pipe freezer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

grahamgas

I have seen the above pipe feezer in my merchants for a really good price.

Just wondered whether anyone has one or had any experience of one.

Thanks in advance

Graham

Seems a good price

But hard to get your money back would have thought ,unless doing a lot of pipe freezing
I do not freeze that much and have found not required in many cases
Often I have given a price, think will freeze to save time and ended up draining as not much extra time

Years ago bought a Rothenberger normal freezing kit as thought good idea to have ,just did not get the use to pay for itself as said

However if you work on big ,old systems regularly, will be useful

imho

Who was the merchant?
Do they do mail order?
Do we know if there is any ongoing costs with this product? I saw in a write up that it needed some sort of paste???
I think they have to be worth their weight in gold....We attract airlocks on fill up!!

I saw a Rothenberger rep demonstrating this new electric freezing kit at a trade day at PTS in Milton Keynes a couple of weeks ago. He had it hooked up to a rig of 15 mil pipe. I was there for about an hour and the kit wouldnt freeze the pipe. Mind you it was hot in there. Out of my price range at 400 odd quid i'm happy with my polar freeze which was a fraction of the price:D

hi i have bought one , use it all the time very good will reach temperatures of - 30 even on a hot day , soldered a joint about 6 inch from freezer head on 22mm pipe no problem left unit running . i had a polar freeze kit before this costs a fortune for gas 17.50 + vat per canister ish , ive had it 3 weeks now and have used it 5 times already on the way to paying for its self ,

tony

its reccomended to put the paste on the pipe where your putting your freezing clamps i belive.

i only know this cos when i hire mine from hss they always give me the paste and tell me to make sure i apply it.

do you really freeze that much to make it a worth while investment? I've only been in the trade 6 years but we've never freezed.

I've been in the trade 38 years and only once had to freeze a 2" pipe with a real kit (which i borrowed). There are always other ways.
Total waste of money IMHO.

Btw Tony you are taking a BIG chance soldering near it. Never thought of a compression?

This kit appears to be what was originally the 'Plumbfreeze FZ400' from Plumbfreeze but rehoused (and possibly modified?). Plumbfreeze told me at that time that they planned to sell out to a 'big concern' -- I guess it was Rothenberger (?)

I bought one of the originals on special introductory offer at about £250 but returned it because it didn't work! There was quite a discussion on this forum at the time. Turned out to be a 'rogue' unit, though! A bit of plastic had apparently come loose inside and partially blocked the head cooling fluid pipework. Hopefully they have improved the internal design since then.

The suppliers told me that the heat-conducting 'paste', is petroleum jelly (e.g. 'vaseline), so you can use that if you wish. Alternatively, you could wrap the pipe with a single layer of thin wet cloth before applying the clamp. This always works well with conventional freezers at anyrate.

If you do a lot of pipework it may pay in the long run to have an electric freezing kit - clearing airlocks can take ages after draindowns. But I would always keep a cheap canister-type freezing kit in the van as well. The big advantage with these is that you can manoeuvre the soft freezing mufflers into much tighter and inaccessible corners than the bigger, more rigid, electric heads. This can sometimes save the day!

As for the cost of the canister freezing fluid -- charge it to the customer of course! You're saving him labour costs after all, aren't you? (I charge £4 per 100g of fluid used.)

Last edited:
I think I came across you on a forum about 10 months ago Alanka. You bought the plumbfreeze unit and it did not work and the boss of plumbfreeze came on the forum etc. Was that you? Well I went and got a Rofrost turbo in the end. It has not paid for itself yet but is soo handy at 4pm when you want to get home. I would recommend it to anybody.

Yes Paulplumb, it was me! I'm still thinking about buying one of the new 'electronic' models, because I am still wary of getting a conventional freezer, after my experiences with re-gassing costs and unreliability.

It's a bit like the air-conditioning unit in a car. Because it's on the move and uses flexible tubing the freon gas slowly leaks and needs topping up - usually at great expense.

Anyway, best of luck with your new Rofrost Turbo!

i like the idea that you can freeze the pipe, carry out your work then it deforst it for you job done, im really thinging of getting Rothenberger 8.8930 Plumb Freeze Eco Pipe Freezing Kit, any one know the cheapest place to get one

At that price it is quite tempting, and I agree with alanka, a small can freezer is great in tight spaces and much more portable.
I never relaised they need re-gassing, I have a freezemaster - Ice-o-lator and I have not had to re-gassed..... yet!

We have just bought a wee freezemaster up to 28mm. We have similar problems like others where we spend so much time removing airlocks in some of the old systems its unreal. The recent example 2 hours to trace and expose the leak on a 28T and a further 4 hours to bleed the system and get the air lock removed. So I will have a go and let you know.

At £400 and only going upto 22mm pipe you may as well buy a second pipe master of e-bay for about £200, at least they freeze upto 42mm.

I would not buy that kit. Get a mr freeze or a rems kit. 15-54mm. If buying second hand make sure it has been regassed. I was thinking i might get a kit. Maybe charge £50 for everytime you use it. It will pay for itself. But why not drain down and install a magnetic filter and flush etc etc. Cost maybe. If non domestic you may have out of hours charges maybe :). Hire one could be a good choice. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rothenberger eco pipe freezer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock