Search the forum,

Discuss Risk to boiler of backfilling through condensate trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have a condensing boiler recently installed with a small bore pipe taking the condensate into the internal waste drainage.

Does the Valliant boiler have protection in it to stop any back flow from a feed that enters the same condensation pipe? The feed into it will naturally flow away from the boiler due to the fall but there could be a risk of it temporarily backing up.

Any thoughts gratefully received..

Sounds like it is just connected to a sink waste. Vaillant say that this is perfectly acceptable. But a picture would help.

The Vaillant trap is good but it is not designed to prevent back-flow.

Thanks for your input so far.

I've no photos but the proposal is to feed the flexible pipe of one of those half height dishwashers into the pipe that takes the condensate from the boiler. The boiler is under the worktop so (from memory) 150mm off of the floor.

The pump on the dishwasher is (according to its instructions) very weak (it won't pump vertically more than 100mm) and the condensate pipe is the only pipe that is low enough to feed it to.

The condensate pipe is 1.8m long and falls until it enters a 40mm waste pipe in the adj. bathroom. The dishwasher would enter into the condensate pipe about 600mm from the boiler.

The 40mm pipe junction with the condensate pipe is not easily accessible.

No you can't fit a diswasher into the condense overflow pipe

That pipe will be too small for the dishwasher waste, needs to be 40mm minimum.
Otherwise your own would also need an air break between the boiler trap and the connection to the washer, which is doable.
My recommendation would be to check the dishwaterd instructions as usually the pipe has to raise up to just below worktop height to avoid sink water flowing into the dishwasher and the dishwasher from draining by gravity.

Thanks for your inputs - although the dishwasher instructions said it would only pump 100mm vertically, it seems to be happy (15 washes now) with pumping up around 500mm so it's been plumbed into the sink waste above it. Therefore no need to try for the condensate pipe.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Risk to boiler of backfilling through condensate trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
G
I recently had a service on my worcester bosch boiler by Warmserve supposedly reputable which is under guarantee and before the service I had no problems but straight after the service I had a leak from the boiler which when the service engineer came back told me I needed a new condensate trap...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock