Search the forum,

Discuss Risk of Legionella in Immersion Heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Selenus

Hi all,

Me and my partner have recently moved into a flat that solely uses an immersion heater (think it's a dual one) on economy 7 for water heating.

Since we have an electric shower and a cold-fill washing machine, we turned off the immersion heater as we don't use hot water taps.

My question is, it's come to my attention this might increase the risk of legionella - however, would this affect the cold water tap? Or just water coming out from the hot water tap?

Basically we don't know anything about plumbing, and we don't know whether water (both hot and cold) is stored within the immersion heater, so we're worried about the risk of contaminating water in the heater with legionella and having it contaminated into the water coming through the cold water tap.

Advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Me and my partner have recently moved into a flat that solely uses an immersion heater (think it's a dual one) on economy 7 for water heating.

Since we have an electric shower and a cold-fill washing machine, we turned off the immersion heater as we don't use hot water taps.

My question is, it's come to my attention this might increase the risk of legionella - however, would this affect the cold water tap? Or just water coming out from the hot water tap?

Basically we don't know anything about plumbing, and we don't know whether water (both hot and cold) is stored within the immersion heater, so we're worried about the risk of contaminating water in the heater with legionella and having it contaminated into the water coming through the cold water tap.

Advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards.

You should time the immersion to come up to temperature.

You should time the immersion to come up to temperature.

So you're saying not heating it up risks contaminating the cold water tap too? As opposed to just the hot water tap?

The reason we turned it off is to save on electric bill - we don't use hot water taps, and none of our appliances require heated water. But it's not worth it if it comes at the risk of getting legionella on our cold water taps. That's what we're trying to figure out :)

Once your hot taps are in regular use the liklihood of legionella forming is highly remote.

I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't use hot water at all, what about hand washing, dish washing etc?

I would leave the economy 7 on, once the water is up to temperature the stat turns the element off anyway.

Once your hot taps are in regular use the liklihood of legionella forming is highly remote.

I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't use hot water at all, what about hand washing, dish washing etc?

I would leave the economy 7 on, once the water is up to temperature the stat turns the element off anyway.

Hand washing is recommended with cold water, not hot water. Bacteria are more likely to breed in lukewarm water than cold water.

We usually do our dishes with cold water - straight after using them. Still beautifully clean. If we cook anything particularly more difficult to wash we can always boil a kettle and mix it with cold water in the sink.
Might sound like hassle, but it makes a big difference (about £30/month) on the electric bill.

Anyway, I know once hot tap water is in regular use the risk will be low.

Our query is different though. We want to altogether circumvent the use of the immersion heater. Would that risk contaminating all the water in the tank, including the one used for the cold water tap?

Cold water is better for cleaning dirt off your hands as it prevents the pores opening and becoming clogged, I'll give you that.

However, the hospitals I work in all advise you wash your hands in hot water with soap to reduce bacterial contamination and cross contamination. Soap and cold water don't do this. Ditto for the dishes, it's not what you can see, it's what you can't that kills you.

But, it's your choice at the end of the day. As long as your water temps are below, and I will need to check I've the correct figure here, 20°c then you'll be ok as far as legionella is concerned.

Legionella multiplies between the temperature range of 20 - 50ºC especially if the water stagnates. If you are not heating the hw and continue to run the hw tap as normal the risk of legionella is about the same odds as me winning the lottery on Saturday and i don't buy lottery tickets.
No different to the cold water water sitting in the storage tank that is feeding the cold to your bathroom.

Legionella multiplies between the temperature range of 20 - 50ºC especially if the water stagnates. If you are not heating the hw and continue to run the hw tap as normal the risk of legionella is about the same odds as me winning the lottery on Saturday and i don't buy lottery tickets.
No different to the cold water water sitting in the storage tank that is feeding the cold to your bathroom.

So the likelihood of it is very low? Thank you. It wouldn't be stagnant as we use a fair amount of water every day so it refills all the time.
We were just concerned that if the water isn't getting heated up in the immersion tank, that we might get something in our cold water.

I wouldnt want to have a cuppa at your place if truth be told, dishes need hot water to be clean, so do your hands..

I wouldnt want to have a cuppa at your place if truth be told, dishes need hot water to be clean, so do your hands..

Not washed my hands with hot water in over 20 years and not had a single incident of food poisoning or gastro. Also FYI, pre-op scrubbing at hospitals is performed in cold water, not warm, not hot.

As for dishes needing hot water, that's absolute bull. Wash and clean your things straight after you use them and it makes absolutely no difference. We have a dish washer and we can use it for things that require it.

Each to their own. Keep to the point of the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not washed my hands with hot water in over 20 years and not had a single incident of food poisoning or gastro.

As for dishes needing hot water, that's absolute bull. Wash your things after you use them and it makes absolutely no difference. We have a dish washer and we can use them for things that require it. Each to their own.

you will probably find your immune but it is others you can cross contaminate and cause issues for, why else do kitchens have to have hot water available in toilets and dishwasher have to reach a minimum temp to be safe to use, the bull is from your direction not mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Risk of Legionella in Immersion Heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock