Search the forum,

Discuss Right Angle Drills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone got any views on the best right angle drill to get? I'm going to install my own pipes and radiators. It's a big old house with really thick joists. So I want to get the most rugged drill for the job. I've looked at a Bosch and a Dewalt. They seem ok.

Also i'm unsure if I should get mains or re-chargeable. How many 3" Joists would I be able to drill through on a single charge?

Ian

Hi all
for my misfortune I have a mains powered hitachi angled drill I have found it to be under powered and some of my hole cutting adapters wont fit it so I would say definatly avoid them.
regards
Mike

if its just for nogging joists, then i use a circular saw (110 volt makita that i love) then a hammer and chisel. should use a mallet i spose, but hey im a plumber not a chippy.

failing that as mike says, a drill and auger bits!

good luck
shaun

ive got the makita angled drill and its very good with them all you need short augers i got mine from a company called ITS
you only need an angle drill if your using plastic pipe work if its copper you notch the top as describe above

Your supposed to drill then cut down to the hole when notching joists. I know no one ever does but if we're going give 100% correct advice.

Mike

and the maximum depth of notch should not exceed one eighth of the height of the joist.

Hi all
sounds like ive got to retire my old chainsaw then:rolleyes:
regards
mike

mike, your right. sometimes i just take stuff i know for granted, shall try to restrain meself to correct answers as opposed to stuff i think every1 should know anyway. too bigheaded for meself. apologies
shaun

We all do it. When you're doing stuff day in day out it's easy to forget the basics that you do without thinking.

Mike

It sounds like a mains powered Makita is what I need then. Yes i'm going to be using plastic pipe. There's a lot of notching already in some crucial areas. So I wouldnt want to notch any more. Drilling the centre of the joist is what i'll be doing.

Thanks for all the usefull info guys.

Ian

i have a eletric makita angle drill with a built in light which is handy when theres not a lot of light and get some good sharp drill bits.

Holes should only be drilled on the centre line of the joist. This is where the compressive and tensile load distribution is neutralised.
Holes should have a diameter of no greater than 0.25 times the depth of the joist.
Holes should be no closer together than 3 times the largest diameter permitted.
Holes should be no closer to the support than 0.25 times the span and no further away than 0.40 times the span.

just thought i would add this so you know where to drill all the holes propperly

I bought the mains powered Makita. I have to say that i'm extremely disappointed with it. It only has one gear ratio which is too fast to use Auger bits. When I drill a joist with an Auger bit, it stalls when it is only half way through.

If it was geared to a lower speed it would be fine.

Last edited:
the makita has two speeds you have to reverse the angled adaptor on the end read the instructions with the drill

i have heard that the torque is a bit **** on angle drills - are you sure you cant wield a normal one bettween joists.

Even a top end normal cordless can struggle with joists some times, I think a cordless would not cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Right Angle Drills in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock