Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

2. WARNING! We do NOT provide advice related to Gas or other fuels to people who are not currently an official registered Heating Engineer. Do NOT ask for advice related to boiler repairs or installs. You need to find a heating engineer instead.

Either seeking or providing advice on UKPlumbersForums.co.uk may result in your account being suspended or removed. These rules are in place to prevent deaths, which can easily occur from messing with heating systems when you're not qualified to do so.

Discuss Riello RDB Pump Needle (Solenoid) Valve in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. bedlam

bedlam New Member

Hi
    Can anyone tell me how much travel there should be on the "plunger" of the Valve, the one I currently have fitted seems to have virtually none, also should the plunger and stem be able to be separated for cleaning?
    Mine can't... just trying to establish if it is jammed and needs replacing, I can rotate the "plunger" with a needle through the port holes and that is about all

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. Dotty

Dotty Guest

How are you going to set the pump up after you've finished faffing about with it?

3. johnf

johnf Active Member

Hello Bedlam
    Can I ask what has brought you to want to start dismantling the coil stem of an oil pump?

4. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Eh up. They're all out tonight.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

You are, I would guess, inexperienced with these appliances.

These burners/Boilers can be extremely dangerous.

Please get a qualified oil technician/Heating Engineer to reassemble it/ repair and recommission it for you.

6. bedlam

bedlam New Member

I am trying to eliminate a "lock out", I am aware that I cannot set up Pressure, Emissions etc.
    although removal of the valve should not affect that - should it?
    I just wish to establish how much lateral movement there should be on the "plunger" is all, it rotates in the stem ok
    I am also not a numpty 30 years in power plants taught me that

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. johnf

johnf Active Member

And let them know if its an RDB or Mectron pump they need to bring with them once you have knackered the one you have!!!!

8. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Very high pressure fuel pump and an overall sensitive bit of kit ( The Burner).
    It's really not worth trying to DIY.

9. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

I'd like to eliminate people who think it's OK to play with things they should not.

Looks like we both will be disappointed.

10. Dotty

Dotty Guest

You've knackered the oil pump for a start. Which makes me question your last sentence.

11. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Although on the brighter side you may just be the statistic that rubber stamps a change in the regulations.

• Like Like x 2
  12. johnf

johnf Active Member

What has brought you to think that it has anything to do with the coil stem? Have you eliminated electrodes, transformer, leads, control box, Coil, motor, photocell, pump performance/pressure using an oil gauge. Have you checked/ replaced the oil nozzle, checked filters on the oil line, checked that sufficient oil is reaching the burner. Have you checked combustion using an analyser?
    The above are all tests that should be done before starting to dismantle the coil stem. You are not on the right path to the diagnosis of this lockout and should get someone in who knows what they are doing for both safety and financial reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

And you can shove the private message right where the sun doesn't shine. PAL.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bedlam

bedlam New Member

So why are spare replacement Valves on the market?

15. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

For people who are competent to utilise.

• Like Like x 3