Search the forum,

Discuss Riello control box problems. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Louis.

Been having problems with the grant combi boiler 21e locking down and the button on the control box needing to be pressed to fire up the boiler.

An engineer was called out and he said it was likely to be the photocell, which he cleaned which allowed it to work about an hour, then it locked out again. The solenoid was then replaced by us, with no change, and finally I fitted a new control box today as we were told this was the last possibility but still wont fire until pressed.

This was the one we purchased https://www.warmsafe-plumbing-and-h...duct&product_id=486&search=riello+control+box

However, there were 2 with the same code on the website and it seems this is the one we've been sent.
https://www.warmsafe-plumbing-and-h...roduct/product&product_id=367&search=3008652+

The codes are the same, however it was noted under the heating element symbol the new one had spade connectors, and that little loop connector.
However, the one we took off (the £34 one on warmsafe), does not have this little loop thing.

Is there a difference between these two control boxes? Will removing this little connector make it work or are they two completely different boxes?

Any helps greatly appreciated with it being close to christmas! Hope I've made sense,

Thanks,
Louis.

Why don't you get the engineer out again? Could just be a dodgy photocell! Could be fuel supply. Could be a poor flame pattern. Could be a fuel pump on the way out. Etc .etc. All these things should/ can be checked by an engineer with the right knowledge and equipment.
This will save you money in the long run. As the boiler will be reliable and be fuel efficient. Throwing parts at it will just cost you money.

Ps I don't know if the control boxes are interchangeable.

Will probably end up doing just that. The engineer had stated that it would either be the solenoid, or the control box. He didn't have the parts, and it's just plug and play so it was much much cheaper to do it myself. Didn't see the point in paying engineers prices to replace parts which wouldn't have solved the issue, as we would've been at the same place now just £££'s down.

A competent engineer would have fixed it, without chucking parts at it.

You need a different engineer, maybe one that knows what they are doing.

Two were called out, both said solenoid/control box were the first point of call, both being replaced has it doing the same thing. I'm just wondering whether those two control boxes are the same due to having the same part number and description etc. If it's simply a matter of pulling out the connector and it works, then that'll be simple. Is there a way to check the photocell?

The only difference is that one is a digital control box. Allows for remote reset of lockout. I.E. Worcesters.

It's not the solenoid or the control box. Did either engineer check the combustion?

Which one is the digital one?

Attached is the loop thing i'm talking about being different (On the £49 control box)

difference.jpg

Everything else is identical between the two.

DSCF0276-750x750.JPG

No, combustion wasn't checked. It's had a new oil and water pump in the last year. Thank you for all the help by the way, greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Riello control box problems. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock