Search the forum,

Discuss Riello burner, lock out every week or two. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had this problem for a year. Every week or two the Riello RDB2 burner in my Grant Oil-fired central heating system will lock out.

I have cleaned it all out, adjusted the electrode gap, replaced the photocell, replaced the nozzle and replaced the capacitor. All parts were genuine with the correct Riello part number. Also replaced the tank filter and pump filter and sealing ring to ensure that enough oil was getting through.

Still got lock outs. The boiler is only about 4 years old, so I don't expect any expensive parts to have failed yet.

Interestingly the boiler has been operating without lock out all summer, heating the water. As soon as I turned on the central heating last month, the weekly lockouts recurred.

Any suggestions? The only other (cheap/easy) part left to change appears to be the solenoid, after that I am into the realms of serious expense (control unit or pump?). Is it worth replacing the solenoid?

I can't help thinking that if the burner worked all summer without locking out, that this is significant, but can't work out what it means. Is there anything that would cause it to lock out if something gets too hot?

I welcome any ideas, suggestions etc.

Thanks.

What's the pump pressure and co2 like?

Again as above. Replace all you like but if you haven't checked co2 and pump pressure first, your guessing .

sh..... It's prob the pump. Keep it to yourself tho.

Last edited:
I have had this problem for a year. Every week or two the Riello RDB2 burner in my Grant Oil-fired central heating system will lock out.

I have cleaned it all out, adjusted the electrode gap, replaced the photocell, replaced the nozzle and replaced the capacitor. All parts were genuine with the correct Riello part number. Also replaced the tank filter and pump filter and sealing ring to ensure that enough oil was getting through.

Still got lock outs. The boiler is only about 4 years old, so I don't expect any expensive parts to have failed yet.

Interestingly the boiler has been operating without lock out all summer, heating the water. As soon as I turned on the central heating last month, the weekly lockouts recurred.

Any suggestions? The only other (cheap/easy) part left to change appears to be the solenoid, after that I am into the realms of serious expense (control unit or pump?). Is it worth replacing the solenoid?

I can't help thinking that if the burner worked all summer without locking out, that this is significant, but can't work out what it means. Is there anything that would cause it to lock out if something gets too hot?

I welcome any ideas, suggestions etc.

Thanks.

How about this as an off the wall suggestion!

Rather than you tinkering (that's me being polite) and risking your own and families well being. Get somebody in who actually has an idea of how oil boilers work.

I know, I know, I'll get my reward in heaven.

would be cheaper to get it serviced by someone in the know each year!

As above, you obviously have an idea about engineering but thats not the same as knowing about boilers/ burners. You would have probably saved an awful lot of money getting the right person in at the right time. There are a number of other easy things to check but Im afraid you wont find that sort of advice here as we will not encourage someone without the right test kit to fettle on something that could kill you.
I attend alot of dangerous boilers that have been fettled by the home owner, some of who are super engineers:
Last week I went to a leaking pump/ smelly boiler - the pressure was at 300psi - home owner had turned the adjuster 360 degrees to try to get more heat output - boiler was filled with soot, the flue gasses would have been lethal.
Yesterday I replaced a pump where he uses his own kerosene mixes from his work at a chemical reclaimant plant! I wouldnt even put my analyser on that, smelt like carb cleaner.

Anyways, our advice will always be the same: GET SOMEONE IN.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Riello burner, lock out every week or two. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock