Search the forum,

Discuss Retro fitting a Multi fuel stove with back boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

needhelp

I really hope I explain thos clearly.....

I need to change the heating system in my house as we are totally dependent on oil at the moment, I have decided to install one of these Cheap Firewarm 25kW Stove Multifuel Stoves Wood Burning Boiler Stove Log Burner .

As my hot tank / hot press is on the ground floor of my house my plumber says he needs to move it to the first floor of my house and fit a dual coil hot tank, As all the water pipes in my house originate in the loft ( apart from the incoming mains ) I thought he could just run his two copper pipes from the new boiler stove in my living room , out the side of the fireplace and then run them straight up to the loft and connect them to the existing pipes.

I understand I need to fit a new Hot tank with dual coils as I am retaining the oil burner.

I really need advice as I want the job done but I want it done with as little building work as possible.

So do I need to move my hot press or not??

Yes you need to move your hot press (airing cuboard) the heat needs to rise by convection to the copper cylinder, on these boilers so the cylinder needs to be higher than the boiler. as a kid I used to live in a solid fuel heated house it was a pain in the arse to keep the "fire inn" , yes it was cheaper as my dad used to get subsidised coal but I used to fight with my brother over who had to go and rake the ashes and relight the fire, welcome to the 1970s.

ive just done a dual fuel set up gas and solid fuel, customer insisted in short solid fuel crap end off,yes you need a twincoil cylinder etc but its not worth it

Thanks for the replies guys, my plumber got back to and said to move my hot press would take 2 men for 4 days plus parts ( new twin coil cylinder etc )

Seems like a long time to me ?

What would be a fair price for this sort of job considering no floors need to be lifted as I have crawl spaces in which the pipes can run and I will be making good all the walls and doing the boxing in where it is needed ?

why dont you get in the crawl space then and try it? seems reasonable to me seeing as you seem the sort to quibble everything,or you could get other quotes as its impossible to price a job you havent seen!

Better yet, you seam to know everything about what you want done, do it yourself, then when you f@@k it all up call your plumber back to put it right.

It really gets my back up when I get called round to someones house to look at a job to then have them bang on "on soandso forum they said..." I really couldn't give a flying pigmonkey what someone on a forum said as time and time again the people on the forum give an opinion based on what you have told them, most forum members state its hard to give a price without seeing the job, especaly one like this as there is a lot of unknowens and posible snags that only a trained eye will see. If you are not happy with your Plumbers price then get someone else in.

The fact your Plumber is on about a twin coil cylinder sounds like he knows what he is talkig about, it also sounds to me that he isn't trying to tuck you over but does want to give you a good system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to report that my plumber as come up trumps, should have it in and working sometime in the next 2 weeks,

Did not mean to upset anyone, all I was looking for is a little bit of advice. And I would never dream of doing it myself, do'nt fancy flooding the house,

I will report back on my 1970's heating system after it's installed.

Thanks for advice guys.

Glad to report that my plumber as come up trumps, should have it in and working sometime in the next 2 weeks,

Did not mean to upset anyone, all I was looking for is a little bit of advice. And I would never dream of doing it myself, do'nt fancy flooding the house,

I will report back on my 1970's heating system after it's installed.

Thanks for advice guys.

Rofl, :D:), Nothing "wrong" with it ,will do the job nicely!, youl just have to slip out to the wood shed in your flares in the middle of Starsky and Hutch more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Retro fitting a Multi fuel stove with back boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock