Search the forum,

Discuss Resiting washing machine. Help with waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm looking to move my washing machine into our garage which backs onto the kitchen, with a floor approx 6-8 inch lower. The issue being that the drain is on the adjacent kitchen outside wall, 3.5 metres away.... I can get the waste between the joists to come out level with the external open drain. My concern is the pretty low drop for that 3.5 metres... Can this be countered with thicker pipe, 40mm perhaps... Or with a taller neck to ensure that the water gets some speed behind it, before hitting the bend and subsequent 3.5 metre run....

Are there regs as to the height of the waste too? At the washing machine end?

Also curious if I can cap some how to prevent little critters creeping into the garage.

Thanks

It is supposed to be 40mm anyway.
If you can have the pipe with a constant fall, - maybe clip it to side of a joist every 50cm?
At washing machine you use a washing machine stand pipe which has a trap, - or buy a running trap (pipe to pipe), to prevent smells etc.
Normally the top of stand pipe is best fairly high - about 80 cm if you can manage.

Thanks best

The running trap would be ideal, as with a 3 metre run, I have space to get this under the floor when connecting the remaining length.

Can you get solvent running traps? I can't seem to find any googling.

It might be a problem initially strapping to the joist as I can't get to the middle of the floor for at least a year... When I'll load the dish washer into the same pipe when the kitchen comes out. I'll make sure it is propped for now, chuck a couple bricks under... With a decent run on it, and no uphills....

You really want any traps to be accessible.
Traps are either push fit or compression joints.
If you can't get at all the pipe to clip it, you could clip the waste pipe before you install it, by clipping it to a long length of timber, - say 4"x 1" with the 4" vertical and put the timber across wall plates etc. Means the pipe won't sag

Love that plan! I've got plenty of timber sat around for that...

I was avoiding the accessible trap because it's going behind a new boiler site with a few 22mm pipes heading straight for the 40mm exciting the wall (pipes in process of being fitted). I suppose I could come out of the wall and mount the trap away from the wall....

It's difficult as I'm trying to gauge where the new boiler, unvented cylinder or large floor mounted combi will go into a particular corner, when laying new pipes, so trying to mount this waste as far out of the way as possible

Update : I have managed to lay one piece of 3 meter solvent which shouldn't need the wood attaching as it appears pretty rigid.

The problem i now have if you can call it that is the drop is about 3 inch over the 3 meters - will this be adequate? To get to the outside hole I've cored, I need to drop a further 6-7 inch with the remaining half meter - I only have tight solvent 90's (bulk bag) so presume i'll be best buying the 45's for this drop to ensure it remains flowing...or will it not matter with the flow of a washer?

Yes but won't harm an extra inch or two but fine normally 20-25 per m

And yes 45 would be better

Thanks Shaun

I was thinking about flow and also if i ever need to use a drain rod - given it'll be under the kitchen floor and largely inaccessible.

I couldn't get any lower where i though i would have been able to, to get the bigger drop- the back part of the kitchen has been extended, so without taking more floor out and getting the angle grinder in to take the lower part of the old wall out....

Should be pretty easy to get this in from here - music to my ears :)

If you can install a rodding point on the end or somewhere

it literally is a straight pipe into the garage which sits lower than the kitchen by about a foot - so to rod, it would just be a case of pulling off the washer stand pipe and I'm straight into the 3 meters length

That's fine then :)

Just make sure it runs the correct way. I've been to houses where the main drain has blocked up and it's filled the washing machine full of dirty water. So maybe a standpipe may be best option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Resiting washing machine. Help with waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have moved our washing machine into the garage but there isn’t a drain for the waste pipe. The attached image is of the waste pipe with the condensate pipe from the boiler, can I use a tee join and connect the washing machine pipe? The pipe leads outside and is saddled to the main waste pipe.
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just moved the washing machine into the garage and it will not drain. I wonder if it's something to do with the way I have installed the waste? The washing machine is only a month old and was working fine this morning before re-positioned. I put an 1100mm hoorizontal run at around...
Replies
Views
J
Hi All, I'm plumbing in a washing machine into our new house and rather than a normal waste pipe this house just has a hole in the ground. It looks as if the hole used to be a 40mm pipe but it has been sawn off at ground level such that the top of the pipe is flush with the floor tiles. This...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm new to the forum, hope you are all well and enjoying this lovely weather. I am on the hope I could get some answers to my question if you can help me out please. I am moving my washing machine to the bottom of my garage and I'm after for advice on the best arrangement for the waste...
Replies
Views
Hi I would really appreciate some help. I am in a flat and looking to plum in a washing machine. Could anyone advise if the attached is the right attachment for a washing machine? It’s in a cupboard in the bedroom which is under the stairs! Wondering also if I can buy any machine or if I need...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock