Search the forum,

Discuss replacing tap valve (unknown type) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

With various members helpful advice got to the stage shown on the attached storyboard and diagram. I contacted www.tapmagician.co.uk and while they were helpful and came up with a couple of solutions they did not supply a replacement valve. Now that I had to cut the chrome spindle to get to the valve I need 2 replacement valves and the chrome handle mechanisms. Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated.

How accurate is the 8mm measurement?

its back in the manifold no so can use basin (with a pair of locking pliers on spindle!) so cant recheck. I used a digital vernier gauge so pretty accurate, cant recall if I rounded those measurements but don't think I did.

its back in the manifold no so can use basin (with a pair of locking pliers on spindle!) so cant recheck. I used a digital vernier gauge so pretty accurate, cant recall if I rounded those measurements but don't think I did.

One of the chaps on here can definitely do you a cartridge with the correct splines and length, but they are 7.66mm in dia. They would need the handle to check to see if it fitted well enough although personally, as the designer of the kit they use, I think it would be perfectly fine because it is held in with a grub screw. If necessary, the handle could always be modified (at a little extra cost) to add another grub screw fixing hole on the opposite side.

So, tis up to you. It can def be done. Do you want it doing?
As I see it you have two choices:
- TapMedic - to give you a new valve using the std 75mm spindle cut down with a grey end seal in a 1/2" cartridge (leave grub screws as they are) :)
- or rip it all out and start again :eek:

I'd estimate the cost of one of the chaps supplying would be cira ÂŁ45 plus postage... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
would be great if TapMedic? could do the valves but obviously need the chrome spindle and handle due to, as mentioned, having to cut them as the actual handle piece was seized onto the spindle. Also need price for the cartridges. Thanks for your help

No you don't need the chrome spindle as we do spindles that are long enough. ;)

IF it were me, I'd screw a 4mm screw into the thread left in the tap head and hold that thread in a vice. Then I'd use some penetrating oil and gently but firmly 'wobble' the head off the splines... But it's not me so you'll have to use your loaf re getting the old handle off. I'd be amazed if it can't be done but you are there and I'm here. :D

The alternative is to find two similar handles. Let us know what they are and we'll (most probably) match them with our spindles. Two, complete cartridges, would cost you around ÂŁ75-80.00. :cool:

I think I may not have explained properly or I’ve misunderstood your reply. Art the risk of boring everyone I've attached another explanation. Apologies for being pedantic but I really want to avoid having to rip out the tiles and manifold and replace as there are limits to my diy abilities! To add some levity below is a picture of the temporary handles!
So what I think I need are the 2 valves to replace the leaking ones and the chrome spindle, the chrome tap end (with grub screws) to go on the spindle and the handles themselves. Unless you say otherwise such as the 2 valves and ALL the rest of the mechanism to make sure they fit together but lengths need make sure it clears the tiles.

upload_2018-11-13_13-36-2.png

Attachments

• further explanation.pdf
    302.7 KB · Views: 3

Reply to replacing tap valve (unknown type) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock