Search the forum,

Discuss replacing conventional with combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, I’ll try and keep this brief. I have a very ancient one bed flat with a conventional boiler system and since moving in last year have had constant problems with the heating/hot water. The taps that aren't linked to the mains cold water don’t recognise demand unless I specifically turn the hot tap in the bathroom on and off which jogs the pump into action. Having the hot water on turns the radiators on and I can no longer turn the heating on by itself – meaning I am roasting myself every morning whilst I wait for the hot water to heat up. I used to turn the radiator valves off but now they squeal loudly if I do that so it really is time to get it fixed.

I’ve been quoted a significant amount to repair the system including several pumps/motors, and for around 3x that price they suggest I could replace entirely with a combi. They don’t/won't want the job to fix the system, only to replace it. My question is, would it be worth paying the extra and replacing with a combi? I feel like I was given the ‘hard sell’ and listed benefits that are irrelevant to me, when I really I just want something that works. I do see the benefit in that I am constantly throwing money at this ancient system which could have no end of problems. I’ve already paid £400 a few months ago to repair the expansion vessel and it's very tiring and draining constantly waiting for the next thing to go wrong. I also would like to be able to get hot water on demand but that's not a deal breaker.

Appreciate any advice

Morning Molly. Unfortunately, there are lots of engineers that are like this, but this is just an opinion. If you are happy to have it repaired no matter the cost and possibility of it breaking again, then find an engineer that will do the work for you. I would call another engineer out and explain to him that you DO NOT want a combi boiler and that you would like the system you have repaired. There are engineers out there that will give the customer what the ask for.(unless not practical or reasonable to do so)

Hi. thanks very much for replying. I guess my issue is I'm not really happy to be continually spending hundreds of pounds on the system, and if it costs £1000+ to repair it this time maybe I should just bite the bullet. I am just wondering whether I am deluded thinking if I do this I will never have any problems again, or whether I have been led to think that by this engineer.
I'm also concerned about his advice because he ummed and ahhed about running a new gas pipe and then decided he wouldn't have to because it would 'probably be okay' and the price was going up and down by the hundreds. Googling this tells me it probably WON'T be okay but maybe I'm misunderstanding. He also was trying to sell me new radiators etc included in a 'bundle' price because my radiators are very old, granted, but they work fine?
This isn't a one man band dodgy guy, he works for a mid size company which I have been very pleased with in the past, so am a bit lost.

A few things to note here.
1- you have to 100% do what you feel is correct. Unfortunately we cannot decide this for you. The end decision has to lie with you. (We can only advise).
2- what boiler have you been quoted? The gas supply I am now presuming is 15mm and not 22mm. This may be ok, dependant on how much 15mm pipe there is before the boiler and also what other gas appliances you have.
3- I probably read this wrong, so if I have I apologise. But not all one man bands are dodgy. Most on here are self employed one man bands.

I'm so sorry yes that is a very poorly worded comment and I absolutely don't think one man bands are dodgy. It was just me trying to justify to myself that he'd have a lot to lose if he was giving misleading/opportunistic advice but then i guess all reputable engineers would so it was a stupid thing to say. I appreciate your advice and yes I suppose it is ultimately down to me to decide, which is probably just what I am trying to avoid!!
yes it is a 15mm supply but he seemed to think it could be worked around, although he acknowledged 'some people' wouldn't agree..

One bed flat and how many rooms say 4 that’s a big investment putting a small combi in . If you live there maybe and if your there all the time . If not rip it all out and go electric for the hot water with a belting gas fire and leave the doors open happy days. Bang a lecky shower on the wall and your made .. small investment and tiny utility bills ..let us know what you decide

Reply to replacing conventional with combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock