Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing bathroom rad with Towel Rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alex Boothby

Hi all,

First of all apologies for joining then immediately posting a question! I know how annoying this can be. I wpuld love to return the favour if you visit computerforums.org if you ever need any compoooter help!

So I want to replace the current bathroom rad with a towel rad.

I have a combi boiler.

The pipes coming out of the ground are 500 mm apart.

This is what it looks like rad.jpg

I was thinking if I was to buy a towel rad 500mmwide, i could replace the angled valves with straitones, and it would fit on nicely? Sound Sensible?

If I am to replace the valves I am guessing I wouldneed to drain down the system first and the replace with inhibitor? I've heardthis is easy on a combi boiler? Would you agree?

Any help muchly appreciated

A 500 towel rail has 450-460mm centres. The will be about 50-70 from the wall. So a little alteration would be needed.

perfectly fine and easy with the right sized rad. you shouldn't need to drain down the whole system just knock the pressure off you will be fine.

Be aware that some towel rails are more likely to be referred to as towel warmers! You will find the bathroom does not heat up when you have towels on the radiators, as the towels become good insulators!
You will also find reports on this forum of leaks with chromed finish radiators. Do a lot of homework before buying your rads.[emoji106]

Oh. And someone in the house needs to aim better!:welcome:

Ha! Its rust. Weird though, I've never seen a rad do that before?

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

The depth from my wall to where the pipes comes out of the floor is only 40mm, so I am struggling to find a rad that will work with this. Many of them have a depth of like 90-100mm so this woudnt work?

Do you guys think NoLinkingToThis kudox-flat-ladder-towel-radiator-chrome-1100-x-500mm (sorry it wont let me hyperlink) would work? It looks like it has a smaller depth.

Many thanks once again in advance

If you are staying in the house do it properly. Bite the bullet and get a stainless one otherwise you will be replacing it every 2-3 years. Unless the warmer is stainless, NO ONE offers a warranty for early rusting where dampsbtowels are placed on it. You have been warned. Oh, also, put in the biggest you can otherwise the space will be cold. A polished rad only outputs half that of a white one then thats reduced by covering with towels. Have fun.

If you are staying in the house do it properly. Bite the bullet and get a stainless one otherwise you will be replacing it every 2-3 years. Unless the warmer is stainless, NO ONE offers a warranty for early rusting where dampsbtowels are placed on it. You have been warned. Oh, also, put in the biggest you can otherwise the space will be cold. A polished rad only outputs half that of a white one then thats reduced by covering with towels. Have fun.

Thanks for the advice,

The room is only 2x2m, so not the biggest to warm.

I will have a look for stainless steel ones, but we only plan on being here for 5ish years, and not sure we can afford something super expensive!!

Thanks again!

Alex try Trade Radiators for stainless ones. They are NOT expensive but putting rubbish in IS expensive.

2x2 is almost irrelevant. Its how much heat you need vs how much is allowed into teh space by the plethora of towels.

The customer is always right - except when they don't have a clue... ;-)

Alex try Trade Radiators for stainless ones. They are NOT expensive but putting rubbish in IS expensive.

2x2 is almost irrelevant. Its how much heat you need vs how much is allowed into teh space by the plethora of towels.

The customer is always right - except when they don't have a clue... ;-)

Dam - I already purchased one from screwfix before I saw this. it does say it is a steel construction though with BTU of 1624 which is more than recommended for my room.

At least as it is screwfix if the tails dont line up with the pipework I can take it back and then call a plumber to adjust pipework!

Now this is what I call a bathroom radiator!

32285.jpg

Buy cheap, buy twice as rocketmanbkk said!

We had two of these installed in our house in France, fabulous warm bathrooms and lovely warm towels! They were installed on a separate zone to the central heating so that we could run them during the summer and not have damp towels hanging around.

Now have the same radiators installed in our new house in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing bathroom rad with Towel Rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock