Discuss Replace old Trianco oil fired boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tonytimms2

I currently have a Trianco 20/25 MK3 CF oil fired boiler (boiler house model) serving about 10 radiators, it has served its time and has a few leaks etc and no longer performing very well. I am looking for advice on a replacement that would make the new installation as easy as possible without having to carry out major new re-piping etc. Basically take the old one out and slot in a new one!? I'm not sure if Trianco boilers are still available.

Regards

It won't be a case of just slotting it in. The new one will be condensing, the returns will need to be twinned into the condensate unit and if you have gravity hot water it will have to be swapped to fully pumped.

New boilers are condensing, which are more efficient, so easier on oil. They require a flue pipe suitable for condensing.
Grant Vortex get a good name from most engineers. Also Worcester Bosch.
Your heating system will probably need full controls - TRVs on rads, hot tank thermostatically controlled, & areas zoned using wall stats.

Hmm! There is a hot water tank in the airing cupboard upstairs and there is a circulating pump on the boiler, however there is no direct mains supply in the boiler house as the water is supplied via the expansion tank in the attic. I 'm hoping I won't have to run a mains water feed to the boiler house as this would mean a major job, the mains being on the other side of the property, will I have to do this or wil the existing system still work with a new condensing system?

Regards

Perhaps you are confusing "condensing" with a combination (combi) boiler that does hot water without any hot tank in the house. Combos need the mains supply. Personally, I say avoid a combi oil boiler. If you stay with any sort of hot cylinder, you just need a standard boiler which will do a system that's fed with a small tank in attic- or a system boiler which has a pump, expansion vessel & components built in. You need to get advice from an installer.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, I have a clearer picture now and it seems I can stay with the system I've already got and just find a similar replacement boiler.
Regards

Thanks for all the replies, I have a clearer picture now and it seems I can stay with the system I've already got and just find a similar replacement boiler.
Regards

You also need someone who is qualified to install and commission the boiler as the Boiler Passport must be completed by a qualified person to qualify for anything more than the Standard 12 months warranty.

Go to the OFTEC website to find a registered technician in your area - OFTEC CMS - Landing Page

A new customer of mine had a boiler fitted last year by an unregistered cowboy and it developed a leak. As the boiler and the installer weren't registered, the warranty was void and the customer had to fork out an additional £2,000 for another boiler after less than a year.

Depending on your system, it may need some additional controls, pump and pipework modifications, thermostatic radiator valves etc. As has already been stated, you can't simply pull out an old boiler and stick another one in its place, and also as part of the objective is to upgrade the system to make it more efficient and use less fuel, that wouldn't make any sense anyway.

Personally, I think Grant boilers are tops at the moment, not that taken with the current Triancos these days. Stay away from Firebirds and Warmflows as they are total pants.

Last edited:
non-condensing boilers are still made/available..not as efficient maybe.. but if some of the "arrangements" for condensing boilers present real difficulties you might want to consider one

non-condensing boilers are still made/available..not as efficient maybe.. but if some of the "arrangements" for condensing boilers present real difficulties you might want to consider one

Thats right, - sometimes putting a standard efficiency boiler in would mean you don't need to replace the flue, which if it is a conventional & tall flue will be a big saving.
Would be against building regs though to fit anything else but condensing.

If you can prove it is virtually impossible to fit a condensing boiler, Building Control can issue a waiver to allow conventional boiler to be fitted

The difference between a condensing & a decent standard efficiency boiler in economy is not always a lot. A condensing oil boiler tends to run at 93% in theory over a year (allowing for seasonal variations), & a standard boiler in theory is perhaps 85% - just below what is an A rated boilers minimum required.
In real life there can be less difference & if for example you have a standard oil boiler with a flue pipe going up through a building, then a lot of the "lost" heat is heating the place & therefore increasing the boilers efficency massively.

Last edited:
The average (actually good) old type boiler was doing very well to achieve over 70% efficiency, I am also allowing a very small amount for the heat loss from the casing, the newer ones (2000 on) were achieving 80% plus.

Condensing achieves in excess of 90% and with a smaller / balanced flue can be cheaper to install.

Take the price of 1,000 litres of oil and increase or decrease the cost by 10% I ask the consumer to forget about being environmentally friendly look at that one saving and decide which is best for you.

Agree with above. But I know people who want a new condensing boiler to replace their old, but good oil boiler that is running at well over 80% & they only use a small amount of oil per year, some as little as 900litres. Even at as much as 10% saving of oil, it would often take them 20 years just to get the difference between a new standard boiler & a condensing one back!
The boiler probably won't even last that long!

Last edited:
Useful info ..thnx.....so I guess you have to compare that on-going saving in fuel-burn to any extra costs incurred in "extra plumbing" needed if replacing a standard oil boiler (like my 22 year old Mistral b/f boiler..which is still working like a dream... although on its second Riello burner unit to be fair!..but the first one has loads of good parts lol)..

..especially so in terms of the extra "plumbing costs" if the boiler's location and the property is less than ideal (no pun intended) for the necessary adaptations..and then there's the regs (I suppose).

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your old boilers & it's burners condition. Also flue type because a low balanced flue is cheap but a tall flue is £100s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replace old Trianco oil fired boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back