Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Replace leaking shower waste flexi pvc - welded in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Sh500

Sh500 New Member

Hi all,

Am in bit of a situation.

I have a 40mm flexi shower waste pipe that has started to leak at one of the flexi joint ends (not from nut side).

Usually this would not be a problem to replace the entire flexi pipe. But one side of the existing one is cemented/welded to a 50/40 reducer then into the soil pipe.

The access is a right pain. I have no idea why the main waste up pipe is located at the back centre of the shower tray.

Is it all possible to permanently repair the existing flexi pipe?

I have attached pictures for clarity.

20170806_200532.jpg

20170806_210149.jpg

20170806_210140.jpg

2. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Your a bit stuffed there bud you may have to access it from below either way something is going to get spoilt sorry to say. Regards kop

3. Sh500

Sh500 New Member

Just a follow up for those who may be interested...

I could see there was an adequate length of spigot on the cement weld end of the existing flexi pipe. So the next step was trying to figure out how to cut it off. There was no space for power or manual cutting tools. So I used a long piece of nylon cord, wrapped it around the spigot and started the sawing action from the front of the shower (it's 900mm cubicle). After a few minutes, I had managed to cut through it.

Next step was to think of how to connect the new waste pipe setup to this spigot. I had to use a 90 degree compression conversion. This is because, if connected directly, the new flex pipe ironically was not flexible enough to bend around, passing the short 4x2 piece of wood.

The rest was standard fittings and connections.

20170807_105150.jpg

20170807_105554.jpg

20170807_110009.jpg

20170807_165326.jpg

20170807_182111.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  4. king of pipes

Plumbers hey who needs em pleased your sorted.

5. Sh500

Sh500 New Member

Yeah, not being a plumber, I had to think it over a bit. I could see what fittings I needed, but was not sure if such things existed (!)

Surprised just a compression nut is not available. For example, the McAlpine Flexi pipe I purchased came with one nut, but, if I did not use the 90 bend (which came with a nut) , I would have needed another nut by itself.

6. king of pipes

McAlpine is what alot of us use it will last alot longer happy showering cheers kop

• Like Like x 1