Search the forum,

Discuss Removing rad for decorating and replacing - pricing. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
What do you charge and do you do one price for each visit paid separately or get paid for both remove and replace on first job?

Thanks

did a ceramic tap cartridge (£17) and dropped a rad on wed, having gone out tues for a look but no access to boiler house, £203 all in, will charge again on next visit, which needs pipes freezing to replace the duff trv and they'll bit charged again

Last edited by a moderator:
did a ceramic tap cartridge (£12) and dropped a rad on wed, having gone out tues for a look but no access to boiler house, £203 all in, will charge again on next visit, which needs pipes freezing to replace the duff trv and they'll bit charged again

Kinell, fair play your acidic tongue must be like silk on occasions :smartass2:

If it's local and not a drain down, 2 visits 80/100 depending if brackets need redrilling etc

It is a time only job and usually a quick job, so I charge very little for any local I am embarrassed to admit

Kinell, fair play your acidic tongue must be like silk on occasions :smartass2:

well charge £30 for the ceramic cartridge unit, and callout and 2 hours your soon there :) dopey mare didnt leave the boiler house open so I could isolate the hot water not that it would have helped as I had the wrong cartridge so second visit to do repair and drop rad as I wasnt allowed to on first visit. Money bacsed to my account yesterday :)

forgot to mention, had to move god knows how many bags of wood pellets to get into the bleedin boiler house pesky eco merchants!!!

mill.jpg

and this is the house, features in a tv ad for online estate agents, only a £1million or so, dont tell anyone though, the tide is regularly in so much the inside is as wet as the outside :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly think most people in my region would not want to pay £100 for a rad to be just removed and later refitted. Some painters and decorators are only earning about that for a whole days labour.
But good luck if you can get it for local work.

Sods law one of the rad tails will leak when you do it cheap, so you end up 3 visits for 60 quid
TBH, if I charged some one local £100 to remove then replace a rad (without redrilling brackets) I'd feel a bit of a highwayman

well charge £30 for the ceramic cartridge unit, and callout and 2 hours your soon there :) dopey mare didnt leave the boiler house open so I could isolate the hot water not that it would have helped as I had the wrong cartridge so second visit to do repair and drop rad as I wasnt allowed to on first visit. Money bacsed to my account yesterday :)

forgot to mention, had to move god knows how many bags of wood pellets to get into the bleedin boiler house pesky eco merchants!!!

View attachment 25718

and this is the house, features in a tv ad for online estate agents, only a £1million or so, dont tell anyone though, the tide is regularly in so much the inside is as wet as the outside :)

Bit of a mistake putting a photo of your own house up !:oops: is that where you keep your Lifeboat ? next to the house. :boat:

If the valves hold then an hour each visit and 2 cap ends about £85 for me.

That sounds reasonable.

I was previously doing £50 for one, £70 for two etc but even thought the total time to take off and later replace is still with an hour's labour (if valves hold, as said above) it's obviously more of a faff than a single min labour type job. But 2 x minimum seems OTT. That's why I thought I'd see what everyone else does.

Something like £85 sounds fair. I have no qualms making £70-£80 for a 30 min job when there are parts to hide it in but with this one if you charge £100 they know it's all labour and you were there less than an hour in total (although making two trips.)

View attachment 25718

Is that in Lee

I charge 2 hours labour, an hour for each visit as per my minimum charge.

Is that in Lee

Lee Bay to be precise, the house was given away years back by the daily mail in a competition, they must have got it cheap. It is rather damp, and the alkathene mains continually pinholes, but I dont want to be involved in any more than repairs as it is a nightmare of wrecked floors and joists inside, as previous renovators have butchered everything. Got to break the news to the owners that their 2 year old wood burner may give up soon as the contents of the rads are black treacle, I dont think they used barrier pipe on the heating system!!!! I wont be volunteering to flush it out either.

Still haven't a clue what to charge for removing and refitting a rad
Removed one last week. Think I'll charge about £45 when I return as they only live up the road.
£100 if they've recently had their bathroom replaced by a Dolphin Bathrooms type at an extortionate price without asking me.
Im not a bitter man. Just twisted.

Last edited:
I charge around £80 and that includes removing the brackets. I always leave screws in the holes so I don't have to re-drill

If they ask me to remove the brackets I'm all like wayyyyyy woooooo ain't nobody say nothin' about removin' no god damn brackets!

For me it'd be either £30 on each visit or £50 for both if the valves hold and its a simple job
not removing brackets, although I usually try to sell them a bottle of Inhibitor when I put the rad back on, makes them feel like there getting a little more, than what they had before

I charge 2 hours labour, an hour for each visit as per my minimum charge.

+1. We keep very busy at these prices too in a fairly poor area of the country.

Lee Bay to be precise, the house was given away years back by the daily mail in a competition, they must have got it cheap. It is rather damp, and the alkathene mains continually pinholes, but I dont want to be involved in any more than repairs as it is a nightmare of wrecked floors and joists inside, as previous renovators have butchered everything. Got to break the news to the owners that their 2 year old wood burner may give up soon as the contents of the rads are black treacle, I dont think they used barrier pipe on the heating system!!!! I wont be volunteering to flush it out either.

I lived in lincombe for a bit. Always thought that house was in bad place to be honest with you

So I decided to up my price to £90 for this job after the input in this thread.

Had one customer perfectly happy to pay, very pleasant customer/job.

Then just now had a regular customer who I've done lots of work for (including changing 4 rads, and not for cheap either!) turn me down telling me price of £90 was an "awful lot"

Takes all sorts..

Its always the same. The jobs were you think your doing them a favour are the ones who normally complain.
Going back 10+ years plus, a mate of mine removed a radiator for his daughters boss. Puts it back on and charges them £120. No such thing as mates rates!
Mind you, his daughter was sacked shortly afterwards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing rad for decorating and replacing - pricing. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock