Search the forum,

Discuss Removing disused boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
My mum has moved into a new place. Despite a combi fitted in bathroom the previous boiler was left on the wall in the kitchen.

The gas supply pipe to the boiler has been cut and capped, as have the flow and return. The two 15mm pipes running from above are nothing to do with/not connected to boiler.

The only thing I don't know is whether the electric is still live to it and I am not knowledgable enough to check.

If I get a spark to confirm there is no power to boiler is this something I could remove on my own? I am not gas safe and am only experienced in small wet plumbing maintenance type work.

If the very act of taking off the wall requires testing gas supply as a matter of course I would not be competent to do this

I'm guessing it weighs a lot but was hoping I might be able to manage it.

From looking behind it it looks like I may need to take cover off boiler to get at the fixings that secure it to wall?

To make matters trickier, access to where flue goes through wall is - from the outside - extremely limited.

If this is more of a two man job for a gas safe engineer I will get someone in to do it.
21397089_10154997371950897_568694854_n.jpg
21441942_10154997371970897_837419200_n.jpg
IMAG1099.jpg

You can do it as it's not live

Weight wise about 30kgs

And yes just work methodological

Sounds like the old boiler has been decommissioned and therefore it is not part of the gas installation anymore. So you can freely do as you please to it without breaking any laws. The boiler is heavy but you should be ok on your own if you are fit and able bodied. It wont take you long if all the pipes are already capped off and the flue will simply knock out from the inside once the boiler is off the wall.

Has the boiler been left there for a reason? Other then bad access to the flue or have these boilers got A/C materials inside them?

Has the boiler been left there for a reason? Other then bad access to the flue or have these boilers got A/C materials inside them?

No your fine old gloworm space saver I think

Many thanks for the info everyone.

But how can I know if it's not connected/live electrically? Shouldn't I test it somehow? I have no tools/experience for doing this.

Obviously I'm presuming it won't be as they went to the trouble of disconnecting gas and pipework but don't want to work on assumptions really. I suppose I could always get a spark to confirm.

Many thanks for the info everyone.

But how can I know if it's not connected/live electrically? Shouldn't I test it somehow? I have no tools/experience for doing this.

Obviously I'm presuming it won't be as they went to the trouble of disconnecting gas and pipework but don't want to work on assumptions really. I suppose I could always get a spark to confirm.
If you do not have the tools or confidence to check for live power then yes get a sparks to check it for you. (Safest option)

Do you have a multi meter?

Thanks.

Also am I right in thinking you need to take off front panel of boiler to get to fixings?

I've helped hang a few boilers many years ago but they all just lifted onto a jig from memory. This one looks bolted on.

Thanks.

Also am I right in thinking you need to take off front panel of boiler to get to fixings?

I've helped hang a few boilers many years ago but they all just lifted onto a jig from memory. This one looks bolted on.

Yes slide the brown cover towards you and off it comes

Two screws there and two optop op the boiler on tabs

Normally about 4 fixings and the flue will hold it sort of so will need a wiggle/ cursing to get it off weight isn't bad but top heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing disused boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock