Search the forum,

Discuss Removing an oven glass top in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Rangemaster 550 gas oven which has a hinged glass top.
If the top is up with one of the rings burning and you put the lid down, the gas goes out, but if you lift the lid the gas starts again. According to the gas board man, who was in the house the other day, it now needs replacing as the current regulation say the gas should not come back on. It has always been like that and the manual says that is how it is supposed to work.

Theoretically, If I removed the glass top and hinge, would a gas board man coming into the house to do work, say the cooker would need replacing.

Does anyone have info regarding the model which I belive was made without a glass top please

It is doing exactly what it is supposed to do, under no circumstance should you attempt to remove the glass lid! It is a built in safety feature and the gas should be re-established when the lid is lifted. Newer models also have a flame sensing device that will shut off the gas if no flame is detected, I think this is what your gas board man was referring to and has nothing to do with the glass lid. Do nothing and leave it alone.

It is doing exactly what it is supposed to do, under no circumstance should you attempt to remove the glass lid! It is a built in safety feature and the gas should be re-established when the lid is lifted. Newer models also have a flame sensing device that will shut off the gas if no flame is detected, I think this is what your gas board man was referring to and has nothing to do with the glass lid. Do nothing and leave it alone.

Thanks for that. So is the cooker ok regarding the regulations when the gas comes back on again, as he said it could be dangerous if it was only on low and you didn't notice it was on.

As above it's doing the right job. By disabling it you're removing a safety device. You're under no obligation to change it

Unless, "house", is part of mult-occupied building, ie. a flat. In which case flame failure device is mandatory.

No it's just a 3 bed semi. It will be interesting trying to convince the gas board people that they are wrong.

Still don't have to change it though as it's an old appliance. A new one would need to be today's standards

What about this report, do you think the gas board were wrong.

examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/how-smart-meter-installation-cost-12012312

They were saying that the shut off wasn't working. Slightly different to yours that was

Just been talking to the HSE Gas Safety Advice Line Technical dept and I explained what the Gas Board man said & he said "Load off :nono:". He also said you can still buy cookers which work the same way ie where the gas comes back on.

That puts this question to bed, thanks for all your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleasure, happy to help - don't be a stranger

Still don't have to change it though as it's an old appliance. A new one would need to be today's standards

I think that if a person was to move from a house to a flat they could still use their existing cooker even though it didn't have FSD also if you buy a second hand cooker. I was under the impression it only regarded new appliance to have FSD in flat/multiple occupancy

I think this gas man need some re-training!

I think that if a person was to move from a house to a flat they could still use their existing cooker even though it didn't have FSD also if you buy a second hand cooker. I was under the impression it only regarded new appliance to have FSD in flat/multiple occupancy
Technically it only applies to new appliances so the cooker could in effect be transferred to a flat if owner was moving if meets all other caveats.
Personally it is another joke of a regulation that is clear as mud. I for one would never fit a cooker in a multi-occupancy building without FSD's. Been to too many gas leak calls with cooker/hob tap left on.

Why would that warrant re training as you have just stated that is the regulation .
I have only stated what I understood the regulation to be when it came in to force some years ago and as you have also stated its as clear as mud that training centres centres and GS depending on who you speak to will have there interpretation of the regulation

There shouldn't be interpretation of simple things, interpretation of a situation can be subjective, but in this case opinion doesn't come into it
The requirement for an FSD in a multi occupancy dwelling is solely for brand new appliances, anything fitted before 2008 doesn't need them , any second hand appliance doesn't need one today, and any pre used (same owner moving to a flat with their own cooker) doesn't need an FSD
There's no opinion in any of the above
Where we can have an opinion is debating whether it's sensible to only require new appliances to have FSD, but agree or not the statement is what it is

I think this gas man need some re-training!

Technically it only applies to new appliances so the cooker could in effect be transferred to a flat if owner was moving if meets all other caveats.
Personally it is another joke of a regulation that is clear as mud. I for one would never fit a cooker in a multi-occupancy building without FSD's. Been to too many gas leak calls with cooker/hob tap left on.

Graham you are entitled to fit or not fit what you choose to,
However best not to say someone who can quote a requirement almost word perfect needs some re training

Regulation needs rethink . Reading TB 015 and TB 022. You buy a new cooker without FSD and cannot install in flat.
Give cooker to granny and take her old cooker, no FSD, second hand, so old cooker can be installed. Granny dies and you inherit new cooker. Except cooker no longer" new" as it does not come direct from retailer, so can now be installed in flat.

Graham you are entitled to fit or not fit what you choose to,
However best not to say someone who can quote a requirement almost word perfect needs some re training

Enlighten me Kirk!

"If the top is up with one of the rings burning and you put the lid down, the gas goes out, but if you lift the lid the gas starts again. According to the gas board man, who was in the house the other day, it now needs replacing as the current regulation say the gas should not come back on. It has always been like that and the manual says that is how it is supposed to work."

Has something changed recently to say the correct operation of the cooker described above is incorrect?????
And the cooker requires replacing!!!!!

The reason the gas cuts out if you close the lid has nothing to do with gas leaks it is so the glass lid does not shatter etc.
Some models have the lid linked to the control knobs and mechanically turn them to the off position as the lid is closed, and stay off when the lid is raised in fact some people use this method as a lazy way to turn the hob off. (Don't forget to raise the lid when carrying out tightness test!)
Thermocouple FSDs became a requirement for "NEW" appliances installed in flats and multiple occupancy buildings to lessen the likely hood of a greater no. of people being killed or injured in the event of a explosion most cookers have thermocouple FSDs now and are the norm.
The gas that would escape from a oven with a FFD is considered a safe level , personally wouldn't want to come home to that in our almost draught free double glazed houses with a *** on.
I find it ironic that they now manufacture tumble dryers, washing machines, dishwashers that seem to have no safety devices and burn your house down, as they are the most common things left operating when the home is un occupied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing an oven glass top in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock