Search the forum,

Discuss Removing a stubborn tap valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stuckinstandby

Hello

First of all IANAP (I am not a plumber:thinking:), but hopefully with some help I can sort this out.

My cold kitchen tap started to feel "spongy" when you try to turn it off, then it started to drip, and the drip has now become a steady stream. When you try to turn the tap off it just slips all the way round back to being on fully.

I presumed it needed the washer replaced so took off the knob and tried to unscrew the valve. I've tried various DIY spanners, pliers, etc but it just wont budge.

So are there any tricks or special tools for getting the valve out?

I trust you turned to water off first?

I prescribe a new tap. If you can remove it and get it on the floor for leverage or soak it in WD40 or heat it .... maybe. I personally don't bother. If it won't shift in situ I say "new tap."

easiest will be in a vice so removing the whole tap but I can imaginge that the valve may be in a worse condition after being attacked with an adjustable

Treat your self to a new set of taps to bring your bathroom back to life I say!

you need a set of these on the nut
ATuixNh-naiAY6r8J4EQwlzQAfCJCoNib_Q9MeFzqkHSut_9kt-NNOkvqd7NQOqNAmnnIuOmxJYT1G9yH4dsSk76yDRnJSZNh4LP-eldPqB85KOefxyotMcYnfVNbfMl1nCNl2oM-ZPGX3y0OHKGlaUO02KKboyGnzexQRtCCxlQXIzLBAuH9nlKzHaopLaa-sFa_XGxmIkJq5TwABwszGw
and hold the tap spout with your other hand or another set of grips

With grips the fact you have to compress them at the same time as forcing them in a direction I think zaps some of potential energy. Not that it seems to matter because when I use grips I end up sheering off chunks of brass before my grips gives out (or the valve.) Probably the best leverage you can get in situ might be a nice long pair of adjustables clamepd firmly to the shape of the valve on one hand whilst hooking something like a basin spanner under spout (if it will fit) so that you have two long lever working in opposition.

SPANNER1.jpg

Get yourself down the local merchants and ask for a pair of tap revivers.It sounds like the threads have gone on your taps.If this doesn't work,start your own plumbing business,employ a love slave,and tell him to sort it.If this doesn't work,hit him/her,and call a plumber,who will diagnose either new taps or incompetence.I am on my second bottle of wine,by the way!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to do loads of valve changes on taps and found the opposite, using a spanner on a stuck valve just rounds the nut with water pump pliers you can get a tight grip of the nut, always worked for me

unless you want to employ the services of a guy who knows what he is doing, gets the job done quickly, effeciently and without damage for a fair sum,!.
then buy one of these and try it yourself.

[DLMURL="http://www.abdtools.eu/p/product/1002158258-Easy+TapSplitter+Basic+Kit/"]Advanced Building Design - Easy TapSplitter Basic Kit[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the tips, and yes I did shut off the water. ;)

I've tried adjustable pliers and an adjustable spanner. Spanner seemed to be most effective but eventually slipped round.

Threads seem okay.

I've thought I bought fitting a whole new tap, but access looks a bit tricky (common I suppose). I'll need to investigate that further. Watch out for my "how do I replace my tap" and "where the cheapest/best place to buy new taps" threads :rolleyes:

The Easy TapSplitter looks interesting but the money's probably better put towards a new tap.

If you can post a picute of the access and connections you'll get all the info you need. Whether that's something you fancy doing is another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing a stubborn tap valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock