Search the forum,

Discuss Removing a solid fuel back boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Walls_c

Looking for a bit of advice...

We want to remove an old solid fuel back boiler to install a multifuel stove with back boiler.

Our current Grant back boiler is connected to both radiators and hw tank (piped in place of immersion)
Is there any way of disconnecting the heating circuit to allow drain down of back boiler but still allow the oil boiler to keep functioning or am I wanting too much from the installation?! Would it be better to just turn off feed to f+e tank and drain down entire system? I'm scared to touch anything until I get my head around it all!

Lastly, should the connecting of the new stove be simple enough seen as the pipework is already in place or is there anything important I need to consider?

Many thanks

Hello and welcome. There is far too much for you to consider here and I suggest you get a heating engineer who is specifically familiar with solid fuel link ups. HETAS is a qualification for solid fuel heating required for much of the UK. It's too dangerous, both in the water side and the flue gas side to mess about, like a lot of people do.
The answer to your question is yes, it is possible the oil can be kept going but that might require some temporary alterations to pipes.
The solid fuel stove must be piped to MIs and the chimney and air supply are critical.
Post your approximate whereabouts if you want some of the plumbers fairly local to you to do any work

Last edited:
Oil is a controlled heat source. Solid fuel is an uncontrolled heat source. You are not allowed to connect the two systems directly together. You can use something like a thermal store on the solid fuel for separation and use the coil on the store to connect up to the oil heated side of the system.

Or use a neturizer but means the who system will be open vented.

This is the way it has been for many years before we even bought the house 8years ago. It is an open vented system. The back boiler has its own pipework and circulating pump in a 'builder hatch' at the side of the fireplace. In place of an immersion heater, there is pipework connected into the top of the hw tank to allow the water to be heated by the back boiler and then the oil boiler would heat the water via the coil? Is that not it separated?
I understand about the controlled vs uncontrolled heat source which is part of the reason we would like to be changed as we feel it is slightly unsafe. Plus the stove contains a lot of the dust that an open fire doesn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing a solid fuel back boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi We have a vented oil-fired heating system with a coal fire back boiler, this is going to be changed to a sealed pressurized system tomorrow and I believe, they are decommissioning the back boiler. I have only discovered today there is no access to the water jacket, so will it be good enough...
Replies
Views
Firstly I won't be touching or going anything... I only want advice if this is right.. my partners dad has a aga that is solid fuel unregulated heat source and a oil boiler. The problem the hit water cylinder doesn't have a stat thus why the hot water is roasting hot but there is a pipe stat on...
Replies
Views
A bit of an unusual topic, as these are very rare in the UK. I went back to Poland to commission, test and tune the 20kW solid fuel boiler and the domestic heat exchanger for the hot water tank (300litres). Old heating system with steel 2-inch pipes and cast iron segmented rads We were warned...
Replies
Views
when I removed the back coal saver I can now see the mental back boiler. I could not see the back boiler when I put the coal saver in place last year . Do I recover the metal back boiler in fire cement or is their something better. The fire cement at the bottom of the photo is where I block...
Replies
Views
Hi Have a 4 port solid fuel back boiler, is the any disadvantages of capping two of the ports off, (eg top left bottom right) then using it as a two port for HW and heating with a injector Tee, only reason iam asking as would cut down on pipe work coming from boiler and just out of interest...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock