Search the forum,

Discuss Removal of sink pop-up drain in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I moved into a newish build home (just over 10 years old) last year and have just had the downpipe of the main bathroom sink shear off with what appears to be heavy corrosion - not sure why this is so badly affected, as the other sinks and their parts look almost new in comparison.

I'm looking at replacing this but cannot see how to remove the unit from within the basin itself - disconnecting the sink rod and p-trap was straightforward enough, but this appears to be bonded in.

All the resources and replacement parts I can find refer to a locking nut on the underside of the unit, but this doesn't appear to be the case here (see picture).

Is anyone able to offer any advice?

Many thanks!

ShearedSinkDownpipe.jpg

Fixed from the top any chance of a pic from the top ?

Hacksaw job then I'm afraid

The part that's snapped / broken off is the retaining nut

If you cut where the rubber washer is you will be fine

You mentioned sink rod, was it a pop-up waste? Often the top part screws inside the bottom part. The top part is dropped through ceramic hole, it is male threaded on the outside. The bottom part has male threads on the outside too , but has female threads on the inside. To undo use a pair of grips on the bottom part, top may stay still due to loads of silicone or may need to be held by jamming a screwdriver inside it ( into one of the overflow holes)

Reply to Removal of sink pop-up drain in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My bathroom Basin was installed some years ago by a professional plumber. For whatever reason, the waste was fitted using silicone rather than plumber’s mate. The floor was originally tiled, but I replaced it with high quality vinyl, when fractures began to appear in the grout. As part of this...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I have just installed a pop up waste on new basin. I have siliconed the top with the washer, and the water holds inside the basin with the waste closed but when I pop it up to release the water down the drain it leaks out from the underside of the sink where the backnut nut washer are...
Replies
Views
Hello. My bathroom sink faucet is leaking and I would like to replace the hot ceramic disc stem cartridge (Sepco watermark 15) . I was able to remove the 2 connected parts (IMG_4132). About a couple years ago, I was able to separate the stem cartridge (IMG_4133) and unknown part (IMG_4134) on...
Replies
Views
Evening all. Need to fix a twist pop up waste which is leaking where the cable from the twist overflow which operates the pop up waste connects into a square box on the side of the waste. Is this just an o'ring or something? To change the overflow (whole waste contraption) I would need to have...
Replies
Views
I have a thermostatic concealed shower and would like to remove the thermostatic valve and look to clean any debris as it doesn't appear to be getting very hot, other showers are fine. It's around 6 years old. It was installed by a plumber and bought from a company in Wales, have been told it...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock