Discuss Reluctant Riello in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks kimbo.

I think this forum is fantastic. Since I posted the thread the boiler has not stopped running! That's the first time since early January!!!

Baz

Hi,
Many thanks to everyone that contributed help in this. The system is still running since fitting the Tigerloop but I think that the real culprit was the flexible hose feed pipe to the oil pump. That was changed when I fitted the Tigerloop.

Your comments on gas and air settings have been noted any on any further problems this will be tested first - by qualified engineers of course.

Thanks again

Baz

:26:

Spoke too soon! It's locked out again. Now getting estimates for an LPG boiler...

Hi Folks, gas readings taken today:

02% 5.4
C02% 11.5
C0 ppm 40
Flu 0C 235.4
Inlt 0C 15.3
Nett 0C 220.1

Eff (C) 90.2
Losses 9.8
C0/C02 0.0003
PRS moar 0.00

Is this normal?

Baz

Looks OK for a boiler house model that age, also depends on where the reading was taken from, type of fuel and ensuring the nozzle is right for the fuel.

My advice is don't waste your money on an LPG boiler as LPG is more expensive than kerosene (here anyway), find yourself a local OFTEC service technician and have the boiler serviced every year complete with a new nozzle to suit the boiler and the fuel you are using.

Do not allow your oil supplier to add heating oil (diesel) to a kerosene delivery, doesn't matter what old wives tale the driver is working off.

I carry two spare burners in the van for emergencys eg when a service call is really a repair, nothing worse than a customer looking over your shoulder when fault finding as a 9 year old burner can have a faulty oil pump which I refuse to change on the ground when I can take them into my comfortable workshop.

Last edited:
Some days can get trough 3 or 4 as well, though its not the nicest job on a outdoor boiler in the cold, wet and dark I'll admit.

Always quicker to do most burner repairs there & then, without wasting time disconnecting oil & power lead. Oil pumps can be as little as 5 min job, but when your hands are cold, time can be longer.
Motor bearings are better perhaps done somewhere handy as Riellos are a strip down.

Do I understand that you dont change oil pumps on site peteheat

Not very often because the most popular oil boilers sold here were heat pacs / cabin pacs basically sitting in a metal box beside the house, the fancy ones have a boiler house no bigger than a dog kennel so all work is undertaken outside, very often there is no light and dirt build up for up to five years or longer.

Switching out the burner means I automatically check the oil line for faults because if the spare burner fires we have oil, naturally the filter is checked first.

Back when I started (40 + years ago) I didn't mind kneeling in frost, wet ground etc now I don't need the hardship of fault finding in conditions that I wouldn't allow a dog in let alone a human.

My way the customer gets the burner back reconditioned with no faults in it, when replacing it the boiler gets a proper service.

Old Irish saying "every cripple has his own way of walking" (of course that saying was before political correctness) :)

hello, (newbie)burner requires, pump nozzle, also have to agree with previous post about customers looking over your shoulder. If it were a gas boiler, a customer would be less reluctant about "tinkering" with their boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Reluctant Riello in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back