Search the forum,

Discuss Relocating a basin trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Reed

I am trying to figure out how to fit a (non-electrical) water softener in my downstairs bathroom where the supply pipe enters the house. It might be made to fit under the washbasin but only if I could relocate the trap from directly under the basin back about 20cm to nearer the wall. It seems to be very unusual to have a trap that is not fitted directly underneath a basin so I wondered if there was a good reason for this or if it is just customary practice.

It contravenes the water regulations to supply softened water to the kitchen and garden taps.

If you don't care about that, post a picture up of your basin waste and we'll post some suggestions.

That's a whole different can of worms. I would really like answers to my original question.

I think you will find that Water Regulations changed regarding water to the kitchen tap and it is now allowed provided the sodium content of the softened water is not too high (i.e. provided the water supply was not too hard in the first place). If necessary (or for taste) you could treat the softened water with a reverse osmosis unit for drinking.

I don't know if the regulations cover garden taps; that's just wasteful to water the garden with softened water.

That's a whole different can of worms. I would really like answers to my original question.

I think you will find that Water Regulations changed regarding water to the kitchen tap and it is now allowed provided the sodium content of the softened water is not too high (i.e. provided the water supply was not too hard in the first place). If necessary (or for taste) you could treat the softened water with a reverse osmosis unit for drinking.

I don't know if the regulations cover garden taps; that's just wasteful to water the garden with softened water.

As Howsie said post a picture of the waste trap, numerous types out there.

I must have missed that update re. the water regulations. That reminds me, I probably need to resit my WRAS exam as it's been a few years now. Perhaps you would like to point me to the change in the regulations as it's not in my book either. The regulations do cover garden taps and always have; I'm surprised you didn't know that. :conehead:

If you'd like an answer to your question, why not respond to my request for a picture of your current set up and I'll do my best to help.

It's not easy to photograph because there is a surround under the basin which will have to be replaced. The downpipe can be moved over slightly to the right but the end of the tape measure shows the height of the top of the water softener. So I need to move the trap back towards the wall (or replace it with a different one sited back towards the wall). I think that could be done if I had a 90 degree bend directly under the basin but that seems to be an unorthodox thing to do. I don't know why. Underthe basin.jpg

You need to maintain a minimum trap depth. It's certainly doable and have done it several times before.

All the best with it.

Just put anew elbow on it and use a pedestal tra on the vertical or use a hep trap on the vertical

as usual its a that what i think with no facts behind any statement..level of trap depends on instalation..fit trap in line,away from basin..no probs...maybe think what trap is doing and go from there

Thanks for your help. A few years ago we had a counter-top basin fitted and the plumber put a bottle trap directly beneath it which blocks a lot of shelf space. I was never sure if that was mandated or just not very thoughtful. Now I know it's the latter.

For the benefit of Howsie, here is a link to the WR information: https://www.wras.co.uk/downloads/public_area/publications/general/ign9-07-01.pdf/
Section 8 recommends the provision of an unsoftened tap somewhere in the house but it is not mandated unless the sodium level in the softened water exceeds 200mg/l which would only happen in the hardest of hard water areas. Section 9 deals with the garden tap and says, as I did, that softened water is permitted but wasteful.

Thanks for that but it doesn't say that in my book; one of them it obviously out of date. I cover Surrey and London for my purposes, it's bloody hard.

water-hardness.jpg

Anyhow, wrt to your question, just relocate the trap and you're good to go. All parts are available at any decent merchants. Where are you based, I could recommend one?

Howsie, the information in the link I gave is very clearly dated June 2007 so about 9 years old. How old is your book? I am based near Cambridge (so outside of your area).

It's not that old. So you're in a hard water area so you should (not have to) have unsoftened water to your kitchen tap.

Wrt your question, ask your merchant for a hepvo trap and put a 90 directly under your basin and then move the waste to the back of the cupboard. Job done.

Unfortunately the supply pipe is in the downstairs bathroom at the front of the house and the kitchen is in the back. All the pipework runs under the first floor and the pipe route to the kitchen sink goes under the bath, down beside the soil stack pipe, which is boxed-in, through what was an outside wall to the kitchen sink in the kitchen extension. Running another pipe to the kitchen looks to be a nightmare without wrecking the house and my wife does not like this idea. Or you could use exposed pipes but I do not like that idea.

TBH, many people do not bother and unless you've young children then I'd say it wouldn't be worth it.

This is another one of those where people don't like the water regs so choose to ignore them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Relocating a basin trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an issue with the standpipe trap in a 3-year-old flat. This flat came with a fitted dishwasher that has been completely unused for that time – until now... The weekend before last, I thought maybe it was about time I tested it out running empty – it all worked fine and it drained ok...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by local authority. I had no say in who carried out the work. I have called the builder out under the guarantee several times for water leaks. The shower...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
For residential housing, what are the current regulations and/or recommended/standard practices regarding the supply of cold water to the taps on kitchen sinks and bathroom washbasins? Must the supply come directly from the mains or can it come from the cold water storage tank? Or is the...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys Need to pick your brains if you have a moment. I attended a flat where in one bathroom the hot water on the basin had major low pressure. In the Ensuite shower it was the same issue in the hot water. All the other hot water outlets in the property had good pressure. Bath and kitchen...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock