Search the forum,

Discuss redundancy - plumbing career? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

matjax

Hi
Ive just found this forum and thought id ask for your comments.
Basically ive just been made redundant at the age of 32. Due to the nature of my qualifications, any prospect of work is looking bleak especially in the current economic climate.
All this has come as a total shock. As its starts to sink in I realise that retraining is probably the best option.
At present I have dismissed the 'fast track' option in favour of the more traditional route at my local college. They have offered a Level 2 basic plumbing city & guilds certificate and a level 2 Gas city & guilds technical certificate over 1 year of full time study. I beleive (guesswork) that also within this period I must gain work, paid or unpaid, with a local plumber and put together a portfolio towards NVQ level 2 assesment.
I do have some limited experience mainy gained from my father. I have put new heating pipework, rads and pipework leading to a combi boiler into my current property. I have installed a few bathrooms and showers in the past. I have also installed a few kitchens including sinks etc...
I have always worked 'on the tools' so to speak. I have also built a few kitcars in the past (not much relevance but thought id mention for indirect similarities ie problem solving, calculations etc)
However, I still think that to be a well respected self employed plumber and be able to earn enough money to support my family will take many years. A one year full time course does not seem like nowhere near long enough. Is this the right way to start?
Many Thanks
Matt

yes without dout learning at this sort of pace is allways the best way

please think seriously
one year full time no pay
further year scratching a living on small jobs
outlay for a van
outlay for tools
public liability insurance
advertising
little chance of a company taking you on
why does everyone think plumbing will be the golden goose its is tough and to sustain a familly will take years if at all
i have undertaken a acs course but thankfully im in employemnt so can take the knocks but even so have spent a small fortune getting tools and a reliable van but all others on my course were people made redundant and have used a large chunk of money to fund course and go without wages for six months and are planning to go self employed but self employed is a tough route to launch yourself into
some have contacts and get lucky but a lot will fall by the wayside when the work doesnt start coming in
use your redundancy money wisely and consider other options

please think seriously
one year full time no pay
further year scratching a living on small jobs
outlay for a van
outlay for tools
public liability insurance
advertising
little chance of a company taking you on
why does everyone think plumbing will be the golden goose its is tough and to sustain a familly will take years if at all
i have undertaken a acs course but thankfully im in employemnt so can take the knocks but even so have spent a small fortune getting tools and a reliable van but all others on my course were people made redundant and have used a large chunk of money to fund course and go without wages for six months and are planning to go self employed but self employed is a tough route to launch yourself into
some have contacts and get lucky but a lot will fall by the wayside when the work doesnt start coming in
use your redundancy money wisely and consider other options

With all due respect, what are my alternatives? Sign on, temp work, etc.......There is perhaps a very slim chance of fulltime employment at the moment - but what are the chances of finding a secure job?
Your comments are a little confusing as it is hard to find ANY work. As far as I know plumbing is not the only industry affected.
I can start a plumbing course next week and pehaps have a little purpose.
Perhaps one of the reasons why many people are looking at training for plumbing (and other trades) is because it does look like a easy route into self employment with the prospect of earning very good money. I cannot speak for others but I can assure you that I do not see plumbing as a 'golden goose' - I am not naive enough to think that after a few years I will be able to trade and earn a good living.
However, I would like something I can 'make my own' and rely on in years to come. As long as I work long and hard I see no reason why I cannot suceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to redundancy - plumbing career? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock