Discuss Red Diesel Oil Boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mitchellplumber

Have a customer out in the sticks looking to install a boiler running off of red diesel.. Has anybody done this or know what the best boiler is? Plus this place get's to -20. Will the Red diesel freeze?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Any boiler that has a Nuway burner can be converted. Just a nozzle and pump change I think

It won't be a condensing boiler then, I know for definite the Worcester HE's won't, too much crud in the fuel, messes up the condensing unit.

Why does he want to run it on red rather than kero?

Not sure if its illegal if used for agriculture. I've seen it done before, but I've never done it myself. That is a fair point Simon! It's to be hooked up along side a bio-mass boiler with accumulator tank. It's a head-ache already without throwing this in with it! lol

thats illegal aint it?.

Depends what paperwork you fill out. There's many a boiler round my way running on red, I don't mind, serviced twice a year :) , pump runs at higher pressure so more prone to issues and I find they get really hacky. There's no real benefit anymore as the red and kero are roughly the same price.

:aureola:Just kidding. The boilers "around your way" are they condensing?

:aureola:Just kidding. The boilers "around your way" are they condensing?

Not the ones on the red. Did one a couple of years ago, burst boiler, whipped in a new condensing boiler and went to connect oil line and found it was red. Commisioned it out of a can whilst customer went and got hold of 2 50 gallon drums of kero.

Dont forget different criteria with flues for red diesel, also you will probably need a preheater as the red gets thicker with the cold

There are boilers that can run on red stuff.

Fuel oil may not be used on low level flue discharge

Not illegal to use red diesel for heating & generators but is it any cheaper than heating oil ?

Grant and firebird do standard efficiency boilers that run on diesel but they dont do any condensing ones, I think you may have a problem sourcing a condensing boiler.

I've never known a farmer to show off about a high price and I take with a pinch of salt anything they say about prices of anything. I'm not saying he's wrong or right - just that like the general public some can afford only a clapped out car and some can afford new range rovers.

Kero is cheaper than red because red has a small amount of road tax duty on it.

No problem running standard efficiency boilers on any type diesel, but not if they have low level flue. The diesel has an additive to help prevent it waxing at low temp. They are supposed to be cleaned & serviced twice a year. Oil pressure has to be very high & often, nozzle has to be smaller. They can actually run very clean on diesel & the oil pumps should last better as diesel is more lubricating than kerosine. Condensing boilers must be kerosine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Red Diesel Oil Boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back